Computers on the way out

"chaniarts" wrote

Of course, there would be NO land lines for people to call 911 for an emergency in church or in a restaurant, right? Cell phones would be the only form of communication. We're talking about zapping a boob who's being a boob. We're talking about momentarily interrupting service. We're not talking about a long term blockage. Apparently you don't know how these things work. Just as long as you hold the button is as long as they work. It's not as if one sets it to block for hours.

Do the math, genius.

And heaven forbid dispatch has to do a little work, and not rely on a GPS signal from a cell phone which may be erroneous. What if a witness from across the river calls it in? Or a witness in a high rise? Seems to me that they would like to have the location of the ACTUAL emergency, and not the witnesses.

HTH, but I doubt it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Yes, there is a

I learned this with my first "brick" phone. If people could talk to a human, they would wait, be patient, and be reasonable within a few parameters. They just wanted a time and assurance that the service tekkie would be there, and from X to XX o'clock. It was when they got a recording, or didn't get ahold of someone they were unsure.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

"aemeijers" wrote

Or, a ring tone goes off, and everyone looks like a Western gunfighter. Ready to slap leather. But only one gets satisfied. Groans from the others.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

And then they look at you like you have interrupted them during climax when you speak to them.

"You tawkin' to ME?"

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You have to admit that the changes in technology, which we all take for granted and consider normal, that modify human behavior would seem alien and bizarre to our younger selves much less than those belonging to our parents generation. Both my late parents were WWII Army veterans and a gadget as simple as a cellphone seen by them in the 1940's would be an item belonging to outer space aliens. Imagine what people of that era would think of a Bluetooth headset. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down. EMS calls my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and don't get the call because i happen to be sitting in the same restaurant that you're using your jammer in. the E911 site computer stays down until I service it. the people in the E911 area don't get a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the

30 seconds it would normally take.

it doesn't really matter if anyone at the restaurant we're in can reach 911 in their local area. they're not involved. it's the (many) thousands of people in the remote area that are involved. their emergency services computer isn't up, and won't get up until i get notified whereever I am, not where the E911 computer is.

heart attack or rape in progress victims are rarely called in to EMS from far away. usually it's the next table or a passerby.

self rationalizations to avoid having to think about the far reaching consequences of your own illegal actions.

Reply to
chaniarts

You are the only person in the entire world 24/7 that can answer this call? What happens if you, yourself, are incapacitated. My contention was that for most people (there may be a few exceptions and you may even be one of those), there is no need for them to bother me. They can just do things when someone else is on first call or make arrangements to cover for them for awhile.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

how would i know that someone has to cover for me? as far as i can tell, i'm available. someone, without my knowledge, prevented that.

and yes, i am first on call off hours for all customers worldwide for my company, and am the only person at any one time doing that.

Reply to
chaniarts

Whether anybody else can take the call is beside the point. When you're on call you're on call. It's not nice to rely on the backup if you're lucky enough to have a rotating call list. Many IT systems are complex to the point where getting them restarted is a chore and can be easily screwed up. I supported one system for nearly 2 years as the primary call, and the only one who could handle problems expeditiously. The others on the list were practically useless. I was on call even while on vacation. And another system for less time on much the same basis, but even more extreme. Management decides. My input was to agitate for more staff and training, quit, or squeeze for more salary. I did the latter, and was satisfied with the outcome. The only time I got really pissed was when the phone rang, the DVD was loaded, and the pizza delivery man showed up all at the same time. But I had made my own bed. Anyway, a vibrating phone or pager gets rid of the "disturb" problem, so it's only an issue with rude people. If they don't have a phone, they'll just cough and fart a lot.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Okay, you are on the tangent introduced by the jamming guy while I am still on my point about how most of the time jamming would be unnecessary if people just did the things like eat out and go to concerts, etc., when the were NOT on call so they could safely turn off their cells and pagers. I'll try to keep up (grin).

But there are others at other times, when you could do things that require phones be turned off.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman