Computer NG?

If I get to the point where I can no longer build my own computers, I know I won't go to the store and buy an HP/Dell/Compaq/eMachines. I'll do my research into components and get the local computer store (or my son) to build one to my specifications.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I rest my case. The computer I spec'd out can be bought from HP for $850, with free shipping. It's listed at $900 and there are $50 off coupons readily available on the internet.

I can order it with the standard video, and if I want a hotter video card to run games, I can get one for $125 bucks. Std DVD burner can be added right from HP for $120. For that amount, I could also buy a Blue Ray DVD writer and add it myslef. As for floppy, they're pretty much useless today. A memory card reader makes more sense, and that;s included in the HP Box. Along with Win 7, Norton Internet Security for 15 months,. and MSFT Office Starter Edition.

So, let's take $850, plus $250, that's $1100. Why again would I instead spend $1500 and then have to do the integration, take the risk, have no warranty covering the whole system, etc? Sounds exactly like buying that Heathkit color TV or stereo and then building it yourself. OK if it amuses you, but not cost effective.

Reply to
trader4