Need advice removing vinca minor

I'm new to the NG and new to gardening, so I really could use some help here. We've just moved into a house, and the previous owners planted vinca minor in about 4 different places. It's starting to overtake some of the shrubs, so we're taking it out to plant some perinialls. (sp?). Right now, I'm just digging it up, by hand. My husband suggested tilling it up. I don't think that will work, since these are small areas. I've surfed the 'net and the best thing I've found is just to dig it up. Am I missing something? And do I need to dig up all those little-bitty-tiny roots, too? Vinca minor is pretty, I'll admit, but when let go, like the previous owners did, it takes over everything it sees! Am I on the right track to just dig it up, or is there another way....without damaging the soil for the new flowers to be planted. :-) Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Deb in AR

Good Luck getting rid of it, I know of one lady who tried to remove it, and short of dropping a NUKE on it, no way.

Reply to
Starlord

Ok...so anybody got a Nuke? LOL

Reply to
Deb in AR

"Deb in AR" expounded:

You have to pull it, and pull it, and pull it (did I mention pull it?) until it's gone. It'll resprout from runners below the soil. Get a good garden claw and plunge it into where you see a central growth point, use the claw to pull the rootball out, then follow the runners, using the claw to pull each rooted piece as you go. It can be done, but it's tedious.

Reply to
Ann

Lest all fear to plant vinca minor as a result of this thread, we have a variety that spreads via above-ground stems. It is very easy to control. As a matter of fact, I've had to give it a bit of a helping hand to spread a little faster.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Voege

"Jim Voege" expounded:

Actually I've got it in one spot in my side yard, and it pretty much stays there. I've been down to Madgardener's garden, though, and seen what she's up against. Must be the climate, I guess. Others have such a problem with it, I think it's pretty.

Reply to
Ann

Reply to
Brian

I'd love to have more vinca growing and wish it was able to overtake the English ivy. I started to think that I was getting my wish until I discovered that what I took to be especially agressive vinca was actually Euonymus fortunei which is now threatening to take over every tree and wall. And even that won't go where the ivy is growing....

Reply to
John McGaw

Indeed. I use it to dress up the floor of those areas of the yard that are too shady for grass, although at the cottage we had it growing on the face of a steep, quite sandy bank facing south with lots of reflection from the nearby water. A mass of pretty blue flowers in the spring and shiny dark green foliage throughout the year. Quite happy on a yearly diet of no more than fallen leaves. My kind of plant. :-)

However, we are talking about the variety that spreads above ground. Makes all the difference in the world.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Voege

Ok, so what about pulling it up, then tilling the ground? Would that take care of it coming back in mass?

Reply to
Deb in AR

It's just like some grasses I can name, every little bit of root can become a plant of it's own. May not show up real soon, but some day you'll walk out and find your garden covered by it.

The Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond The Voice out in the High Mojave Desert

Reply to
Starlord

"Deb in AR" expounded:

Pull, till, and then rake thoroughly, and then be prepared to pull any stragglers that sprout, although at that time they should be fairly easy as they won't be firmly rooted. Good luck!

Reply to
Ann

Can you recommend a cultivar that spreads above ground? I have a part-shade back yard that will only grow stubby grass (well, the dog traffic makes it more difficult, anyway :), so I'd like to find something that would eventually take the place of grass in the shadier and more bare spots. I'm in the Northern VA suburbs of Washington DC, Zone 7.

Cheers!

Reply to
Natty_Dread

Not really. I inherited mine and it has been no trouble. However a search disclosed this:

you scroll down you will see this reference:

"Vinca minor 'Bowles' - has larger foliage that tends to mound instead of creep or trail, and flowers that are slightly larger and more dense with an intense blue or purple color; the standard and most common form available." This is probably what I have and your best bet.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Voege

Thanks for the advice Ann! I'm sure there's going to be stragglers, but I can handle stragglers. It's just getting rid of it now.

Reply to
Deb in AR