Bathroom floorplan help, please

The thread on bathroom remodeling from yesterday was so helpful that I am prompted to ask for advice on my own project. My wife and I cannot seem to agree on what goes where in our 11 X 8 bathroom. Can anyone recommend a source (book, computer app, whatever) for visually planning a bathroom? We need to do some visualizations of what goes where and why. Are there any decent CAD or CADlike (Windows xp) computer programs, specifically for bathrooms, for the DIYer for under say, $100 or $50? I've seen these "CAD" programs at Comp USA. I know that they aren't real CAD tools, but do they work? Any experience? What kinds of graphics and if any at all what kind of modeling abilities could they have at that price? I don't want to buy some useless program. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
vercingetorix

try millspride.com or google for the cabinet company. You can layout your plan and add various cabinets and items right on their website w/o buying some other software. You can also do this in person for free at Home Depot cabinet department. R a

Reply to
Rudy

You might try and find a contractor (or 2) experienced in this work and pay 'em $50 to take a look and make suggestions. I spent a couple of years with graph paper and little cutouts trying to figure out ways to re-do my kitchen. Experienced (and under-employed at the time) contractor came in, said "I can move this door to here, and block up that," and lo, instead of working around what I'd viewed as permanent constraints, I now have an enviable kitchen with about 25 linear feet of continuous counter space (instead of the previous 4.5') and enough cabinets to house a small family. A fresh, and professional, eye can make a difference.

Reply to
Frogleg

The Builder's Book of Bathrooms, by Taunton helped me tremendously when doing a bathroom from scratch and most of the work by myself.

Stay away from home center (home depot bath book, etc.).

Reply to
BKS

Thank you, Rudy, Frogleg and BKS, these are all very good suggestions. We need different creative perspectives and these suggestions will certainly help. Best regards, Vercing

Reply to
vercingetorix

You can go to kohler.com and they have virtual bathroom planner that allows you to specify your bath size, position of windows, doors and all fixtures. It does not however give you real look of the bathroom, only plan. When I was designing my bathroom I started from that plan. Then I ordered catalogues from all major bath fixtures manufactures and visited their Web sites to see what style I like. Then your plan combined with images of real fixtures gives you more or less view on your future bathroom.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin