complete home renovation

I am considering making major renovations to my house--new carpets, new floors, new windows, new kitchen, new bathrooms. My house is a 3-bedroom, two kitchens, living room, and dining room. I know this is really broad, but any idea how much this would cost?? a ballpark figure?? I live in NJ if that is a factor.

And I am considering adding a bedroom--it would be an addition that would be adding a floor to the house. The roof would need to be redone for that area... generally how much would adding a bedroom cost?

Just need an idea what all this would cost. I'm living in a fixer-upper and need to start fixing!! Thanks.

JC

Reply to
JC

Hi, Sky is the limit.

50K? 100.00 per square foot? Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

How big is a box? How high is a cloud?

Too many variables. You can get away with $50,000 for the entire job using cheap material, or you can spend $100,000 in just the kitchen. Floors can be $1 a foot laminate or $50 marble. Light fixtures run from $10 to $500 or more.

You really have to get a bit more serious and do some homework. What is the present house worth? What do you want it to be worth when done? Consider the neighborhood in this and what level of materials are worth using. If you are in urban Camden you probably don't want to spend as much as if you lived in Short Hills. How much can you afford to spend?

What plumbing and electrical or heating upgrades have to be done before starting on renovation? Do you plan to do the work yourself or contract it? Since you have two kitchens, is one kosher? What special requirements would that have?

You really need to make a plan. It should include what you want to do, the sequence of events, the material needed. Decorating stuff comes after construction stuff, especially tear out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is nothing like a good detailed question, so I will guess

2,470,000 should do you fine
Reply to
m Ransley

My mom is an interior decorator in NJ Somerville to be exact. She spent $40,000.00 on her kitchen and remember she gets stuff for less than you can get it. She spent $20,000.00 on her bathroom. She lives in a 200 year old English Tudor. She likes exspenive stuff. Her kitchen faucet cost $900.00. She also has a number of craftsman she can pick from that are more than willing to give her a deal cause they know it will come back to them 10 fold. I've done bathrooms for as little as $6,000.00 and as much as $22,000.00 I dig doing bathrooms, kitchen I sub out the cabinets and counter top and will usually do the tile, plumbing, electrical, and fixtures. All my painting gets subed out, I hate to freakin paint!!!

Like someone said the skies the limit.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

I'm in the Philly 'burbs, as is my son. Last year he had a bedroom and bath added to his home, requiring raising the roof over his living and dining rooms. Total cost was $80,000; however, he went with red oak hardwood floors, a very large soaking tub, and a shower big enough for 10! In February/March of this year I had a new kitchen installed (old one gutted down to the studs and a wall removed), plus hardwood floors in kitchen, dining room and living room. Total cost was $48,000. Based on these two samples, I'd say you're going to have to spend about $300,000 or more, and I'm sure my contractor would be happy to do the work for you!

Good luck!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

Removed all of the kitchen and bath room and the living room (walls and floors on a slab). Took of the trusses to add a second floor, rewire the whole house and new pluming. Second floor cost when done ? new bath and two bedrooms (24?x22?) around $8000.00 First floor cost well be around $2000.00 Keep in mind I well be doing all the work and making all my cabinets, countertops ect?.

2pyrs
Reply to
2pyrs

You must be getting your materials at cost too. I can barely do a bathroom for $8000.00. The fixtures alone cost $2000.00 - $3000.00 or more. Sink, tub, toilet, sink and bath faucets, lighting etc.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg