Clothes Dryer Woes

I have a KitchenAid electric clothes dryer, Type I with the lint screen on the top of the dryer. Model number keys750Jq1 if anyone cares.

A few days ago, I pressed the start button and it did not tumble.

When I pressed on, it made the usual clicking noise and made the usual "sound it makes," minus the turning of the drum.

Tried to get it to go a few more times by twisting the timer to zero and then to time, turning off and on the circuit breaker, etc. It would click on and rumble, but no turning.

I then tried to turn drum. It was near impossible. I finally got it to turn. Tried again with the switches, no luck.

Took off the front. The idler pulley was missing the plastic wheel (nowhere to be seen) and the belt was slightly chewed. Bought a new idler pully and new belt.

Tried to turn the metal motor shaft that the belt loops around. The motor shaft turned easily.

Put in new idler pulley and belt and put it back together.

Drum turned fine. Turned on machine. Clicked on again, but drum does not turn. Turns easily enough if I turn from the inside of dryer.

I am thinking it might be some sort of switch in the control panel. This is an old analog dryer. Any thoughts?

Reply to
tim birr

So when you "click it on" does the motor start and run or not?????? You're not being clear.......

Reply to
SRN

Are you certain you have the belt routed correctly? When I did mine I found that to be a bit confusing but I located a diagram of the correct routing online.

Reply to
DFBonnett

OP Again:

Sorry, I have been posting via Google groups for the past several years, and around the first of July, it all went crazy. I was not able to access group for several days and gave up. Google, huh...

So, I finally bought a new multi-tester (my old one was a cheapo Sears analog dating back to about 1979. Tested my little heart out. Motor was burnt-out.

Bought a new Maytag. Works like a dream (there is a sub-story about cleaning the dryer vent in here that is a story from hell, but won't go into that in this thread).

Reply to
tim birr