Clock chimes

I bought a clock that you wind up and it chimes every hour. I think it may be defective or need adjusting. It never chimes the same twice in a row. As an example, my wife and I sat down for lunch. The clock started to chime and though I did not count, it rang at least 10, maybe twelve times. Sounded good. An hour later, it rang out only once. Why would that happen?
I probably should look for a pattern, but it seems to randomly change all day, all night long. Any idea what the problem may be?