mantle clock help

I may be in the wrong place here but will ask anyway.

I have just bought an old smiths mantle clock. The problem is when its on

3pm it chimes 7 times etc What I mean is that oit doesnt chime the correct ammount of gongs for the correct time. How do I get it to do this?

Thanks

Reply to
informer

Are you saying that the clock and chimes both work perfectly, but are just 4 hours out of synch? If so, just remove the hour hand and refit it pointing at the correct digit.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Classic problem caused by advancing the hands without waiting for the chime mechanism to kick in.

Advance the hands over the next hour without letting it chime (i.e. go past the hour/half hour without stopping). The next chime will be even more out of phase, Repeat until back in phase again. Sounds harder than it is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Assuming it is consistantly wrong in the same way, eg 4pm chimes 8, 5 > 9 etc., remove the hour hands and replace at the right time, ie synchronised with the chimes.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

but showing the wrong time ?

Reply to
Vass

Well he just stops the clock until it gets close to the correct time .!!!

Reply to
Stuart B

Thanks all have done that and its working fine. It looks like a veneer on the case which is really dry and in need of some nourishment. Will raw linseed oil be any good for it. I ask because I have given it two coats of raw linseed oil and it soaks in and still looks dry, its very thirsty. Do I keep feeding it this oil to replenish its loss or is something else better to use.

Thanks again for all the help, the clock sounds great now.

Reply to
informer

Is the clock a tambor style or square art deco?

There were two types of the tambor ie the working mans clock and the middle class The working mans clock was the poorer(cheaper) of the two. The wood veneer is showing its grain then you should wax it not feed it linseed oil because it will not penetrate the laquered finish?

Reply to
George