non working E7

Friend has just taken possession of a property fitted with night storage heaters.
It appears they dont work.
They are wired in the usual manner with a dual tariff digital meter with one leg supplying the house , and the E7 leg feeding the NSH's through their own consumer unit.
Does the energy provider have the means to automagically shut off the E7 supply remotely, say if you were on a different tariff than the original owners via the digital meter?
All the wiring etc is fine and there are no 'missing links'.
TIA
Tim..

Not afaik - it's probably just a standard radiotelemeter.
Have you checked during off-peak hours, just to make sure it's not switching ? - it could simply be a faulty meter.
in message

No, I dont actually live there, and havent been at the house after 8pm?? or whenever it is meant to turn on the E7 supply, yet.
Tim..

Try sometime between midnight and 1am (ish) :-}
in message

Will investigate further and report back; firstly finding out what tariff she is on.
Tim.

The same style meter might be in use for a couple of tariffs - I used to be on "option 14" which would give me 14 hours of off-peak juice, the only difference being that the readings were transposed on the display compared to economy 7.
I didn't get a correct bill for ~4 years due to meter readers being too dumb to understand the difference, and I f*cking work there !
Tim.. wrote:

Midnight too 6am IIRC on mine when I had such.
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:02:46 +0100, Tim.. wrote:

If the meter/time switch is a radio teleswitch then they might be able to address meters individually but I've never heard it mentioned. TBH I can't see the point, anyone with any sense wouldn't run NSH on a normal tariff unless they had a lot more money than sense.
Basic fault finding, does the NSH CU get power in the small hours?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

This is the turning point- i dont live there, and aren't often there past 1am to investigate!! (that would get the neighbours talking)
The RCD and all MCB's are on, and the wiring is fresh-ish, so i cant see why it shouldn't get power. We have turned on all the NSH's and checked their settings but all refuse to charge overnight!
Tim..
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:28:53 +0100, Tim.. wrote:

Seems to me you have a very good reason for staying overnight. F the neighbours, er no that isn't what you want to do is it... B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Tim.. wrote:

I don't know what the current ratings of the equipment /wiring are, but assuming it's appropriate to do so, can't you temporarily wire the NSHs into a spare way on the main CU, thereby bypassing any automagic electrickery and enabling you to fault-find during the daytime?
David

Alternativly, replace the night circuit isolator next to the NSH with a 13A socket. Plug a audio tape recorder or similar in the socket, and see if the tape was played in the night...
Also get a decent meter and check the DC resistance of the heater, if it is OC you need to check the heater out.....