Cleaning battery contacts?

I have recently revived an NEC VCR but I had neglected the remote and leakage has left the blue corrosion on the contacts in the remote. Is there any way to clean the contacts without wrecking them?

TIA,

Nathan Z

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman

Try Scotch-brite or a knock off.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Usually it damages the plating on the contacts and the metal underneath. You can try using a rough cloth to remove most of the gunk and they try a pencil eraser. If that almost gets it, try an ink eraser.

I suggest that you may want to get a third party remote. I got a Philips - Magnavox and it works with just about anything electronic and only cost about $25.00. Even if you can get it working, it might be a good idea to get the third party unit. I can eliminate the clicker clutter and it gives you a backup. Keep the original. If there is a feature that is not already programmed into the Philips, you should be able to program it by letting the new one learn from the old one. I would not trust the old one too long even if it appears you have it cleaned up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Nathan Zimmerman wrote in news:batmang- snipped-for-privacy@news.isp.giganews.com:

common household vinegar;the "acid"(leakage) left was from an -ALKALINE- battery,not really an acid,but alkaline(base).

Rinse well and dry,don't flood the remote and get water or vinegar inside it.Use a Q-tip,small paintbrush,or an acid brush to apply the vinegar.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:11:24 -0500 Nathan Zimmerman posted:

The spring end can be harder, but I think in one case, I folded some tin foil (aluminum foil) 2 or 4 layers and placed that down so that it touched the clean part of the original contact and the battery touched the foil.

In another case, I soldered in a new piece of "tin".

Bigger problem when you can't get at the contact, like the bottom of a flashlight.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

on a related thought.... carbon zink or alki batteries in general

When these little costly batteries are brand 'new' , and just before installing batteries in your favorite toy, you wipe the contacts clean on your shirt tail...

Q; If you were to not wash your shirt within a reasonable time would you have holey damage ?

thanks.

Reply to
bumtracks

"bumtracks" wrote in news:F6iUd.63425$Dc.42910@trnddc06:

No,you're just wiping off oxidation,greases or oils. If there's any sign of real leakage,don't just wipe it off and use the cell,discard it before it damages your item.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote: SNIP

Thanks...it's a good idea.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Zimmerman