corosion on battery contacts

I have 1 solar light that the battery contacts have some corrosion,it does not light up ,new batteries,take it down in the basement tried using sand paper and it lights up,it will work for a day or so,is there any thing on the market that can eat away the corrosion.Thanks

Reply to
pacca

naval jelly.

Reply to
charlie

The real trick is to eliminate the non-conductive film and lean the rest. Sand paper tends to take off the good with the bad. I suspect you may have done the damage.

I suggest using something designed for the job. You can buy contact cleaner spray and it should be accompanied by the contact lube-protection spray. I get mine from Radio Shack (Tandy some places).

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Try some DeOxit. I think Radio Shack sells it now. Ive heard from a reliable sourcevitamin E also works but I havent tried it. I would have to be out of DeOxit first.and in desperate need. I figure it couldnt hurt though.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Any weak acid should work: Vinegar, Coca-Cola, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

Pour some Coca-Cola on there. Let it sit. Rinse it off. Use a short metal bristled toothbrush to clean it, and reassemble. Use some protectorant on there, something as common as axle grease or vaseline to keep it from happening again. Take it easy, as you don't want to take off too much metal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hi, Use pencil eraser and rub the contacts. Sand papr is too rough.

Reply to
Tony Hwang