Clean/repair stained porcelain sink?

When I was selling my parents' house, there some dinged up sinks and bathtubs. I found out that there are porcelain refinishing kits that can allegedly be used to match and repair the surface. I don't know; I never tried.
When I sold my own house, my 1950s tub was rough and stained, so that time I hired a professional tub refinisher. He did a very nice job. Two drawbacks - 1) the process smelled! and 2) forever after you're supposed to use soft scrub type cleaners and not leave mats in the tub. I'm not sure how much of a hassle that would be for a kitchen sink or if they'd even do that. Might be worth getting an estimate, though. (I think 5 yr ago the tub was in the $300 range).
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:37:51 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:37:51 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Hi Perce,
You've probably solved the problem by now, but I ran across your post when looking for a solution to a similarly worn sink. Like you, I can get the st ains out, but they reappear when just a touch of anything colorful/acidic t ouches the sink. Blueberries, tomato sauce, and raspberries make instant to ugh stains. I noticed that most of your respondents didn't address the key issue - a way to seal the porcelain to keep the stains from happening with every contact (except the guys who insist that you get a stainless steel si nk :)
Anyway, I found a product here after reading these posts: http://www.superj etco.com/Bprocess.html. They have a claning/sealing/polishing system that I plan to order tonight. I'm going to get a "1-tub kit" for $34.95. Maybe I can save part to reapply in the future if needed. I'll check back here afte r I use it and let you know how it works out, if you would like. Let me kno w.
Toni
Have you tried scrubbing with Bon Ami or Zud cleanser?
replying to Percival P. Cassidy, Linda Bennison wrote: I have the same problem. I read the comments. Some people didn't even talk about your sink problem.I am not sure about how to fix the sink.I have a three bowle and I don't won't to give it up .I thank I might use the sand paper on the surface. Go from there.thank you people.
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-5, Linda Bennison wrote:

Yeah, sandpaper on a porcelain/enamel sink should do wonders!
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:37:51 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrot e:

Got a match? Just kidding. I think as others have said, your sink's surfa ce is now actually damaged, but I undertand sinks, tubs, etc can be reglaze d. I searched on the internet and found some DYI sites regarding how to re glaze, but personally I wouldn't trust mself to do that. So I guess I'd say if your sink is worth the cost of a company coming out to refinish it, go that route. If you find that to be cost prohibitive (compared to just repl acing the sink) and you're ready for a new sink anyway, I think I'd just re place the sink.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:37:33 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

To be sure it is not a deposit on the porcelain instead of etching, get a peice of 2000 grit whet sandpaper and with soapy water give it a good buff. In most cases that will smooth the enamel and remove the stain, as it is a mineral based buildup ON the porcelain rather than an etch. Definitely worth a try anyway - -
If it's mineral based there are products like clr that remove it without abrasive.