Porcelain repair?

My wife was hanging a heavy wrought iron whozywhatzit in the bathroom today and it fell and chipped the tub. The chip is about the size of a US quarter and it goes down to what I can only believe is the underlying iron? Aside from the fun of having the edge on her for a long while, is there any way to fix this myself or do I call in a professional? Your comments are most welcome!

Thanks,

Djay

Reply to
djay

"djay" wrote in news:NJSWd.27634$QQ3.16895@trnddc02:

I'm certainly not a professional, but I am in the process of researching getting an old claw foot tub resurfaced. So far, the only options that I have found are:

1) Reglazing. This is a type of epoxy or something similar that is applied to the surface of the tub. It can be professionally done, but there are also home kits. I don't know if it can be "spot applied" or if you have to redo the whole thing. 2) Reporcelaining. Don't know if that is the real word, but from what I know this is the real deal. The tub is coated, then fired in the kiln, etc. This is only professionally available, requires removing the tub, and is about 4 times as expensive as reglazing.

Again, this is just my experience, and I haven't done either one yet, so take my advice for what it is.

The Chairman

Reply to
The Chairman

I have used with good results a company that reglazes tubs and the like. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Hi,

I wonder if one of these would be all that you would need....

Two-Step Porcelain Repair Kit - White - Effectively touch-up chips and cracks on your white appliances, tub or sink. A simple, two-step process.

EZ Repair Kit - Effectively touch-up chips and cracks on ceramic, plastic, porcelain, wood and more. Comes with six urethane colors.

Sink and Appliance Repair Kit - Effectively touch-up chips and cracks on your appliances, tub or sink. Comes with six urethane colors.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Mr. Chairman,

Thanks for the suggestions. At least I know that "reglazing" is a possibility. I'll check my HW store for recommendations on a "reglaizer" as well.

Djay

Reply to
djay

TB,

Does the company have a name?

Reply to
djay

Jeff, have you used any of these products? If so, how well do they work? I take it that you worl for this company??My tub is not exactly as bright & shiny as it used to be. Possibly greyed out a little over the years. Color match is relatively easy?

Thanks,

DJay

Reply to
djay

Tubs are repaired all the time. Look in your local Yellow Pages under Bathtubs ... Repair & Refinishing.

Reply to
MikeP