Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

That looks like a neat piece of kit! Simple and safe too. Win win.

Reply to
Xeno

Given I spent years on the tools, I don't see flipping tyres on the rim as either fun or convenient, especially since I'm on the wrong side of

  1. I'm happy to just replace the tyres earlier than usual.
Reply to
Xeno

Oh, pffffftt. Removing old weights is highly overrated.

Sanity Clause

I'd have to agree. It follows the principle I use, a lot of air quickly!

Reply to
Xeno

Thanks Clare for that advice since I was wondering if it was useful since the guys didn't use the tire mounter in those videos - but left the tire flat on the ground.

The bazooka is a bit heavy and clumsy where safety is always an issue

One advantage of the tire being on the mounting jig, of course, is that it stays put when you're adding the air, which, since that's a dangerous part of the operating (you don't want a finger caught at the bead when it pops), it seems reasonable to keep it on the jig until the bead is seated.

Most people seem to do the job with the tire on the ground (or on wood):

I agree with you that the tools are cheap enough to make home creation only something to do if it's a lot of fun:

I have welding equipment and cutting equipment, but I agree that it is best to just buy the right tool such as those above, which I didn't know about until you told me - so that's the fun of learning from others on this ng.

One thing I look at, with tools, is the expensive stuff, to see what's different, where, I'm not sure what makes this one $250 yet...

Arlen G. Holder

Hi Xeno,

You were instrumental in explaining the "camber scrub" issue, which your experience enabled you to recognize, even as there is almost noting on the web that is specific to the type of wear that a mountain road causes.

You were able to do that because of the KNOWLEDGE you learned over those years, where, for me, simply learning stuff is fun.

Also, for me, the feeling of sheer POWER is exhilarating, that I can do some of the jobs at home that almost nobody does at home, usually because they're afraid (e.g., winding garage door springs or installing coiled struts) or because they're simply unable to learn details (as in the case of trader_4), or because they don't want to get their hands dirty, etc.

What I LOVE about automotive repair is a whole bunch of things, all of which take effort to accomplish, but once accomplished, you always have, such as the KNOWLEDGE of how to do the job right, and the SATISFACTION of doing it right, and the CONVENIENCE of doing it when you feel like it, and the SAFETY of knowing it's done right and the EFFICIENCY of doing it at the lowest possible cost (saving about $5,000 dollars in a 50-year worktime) and, as I mentioned, also being good for the ENVIRONMENT (adding an extra few thousand miles to tire wear should help the environment).

As for flipping tires on the rim, I would agree that most people don't NEED to do it; but for our particular mountain road situation, you, of all people, can at least comprehend the viability of being able to do so is a nice thing to have under our belts, particularly if you're like me who likes to get as many miles out of a set of rubber as is possible.

Of all people on this ng, you and Clare are just about the main ones who KNOW how this business works - even down to diagnosing the specific problem we had with diagnosing the highly unusual wear patters we've been experiencing, where this

turns into this
And then, eventually, into this:

Where, you have to admit, flipping the tires on the rim is one of a few amelioration techniques (along with lessening front positive caster).

Reply to
Arlen G. Holder

Even with the strap, and the bazooka in the background, these guys opted for the flames!

Arlen G. Holder

With the flame you have little if any control.

Reply to
Xeno

Hi Xeno, I'm one of the few people on this ng who have DONE the flame method. I agree it's so fast, there's no way you can control it.

I've done it - but I don't like it at all.

What I really like is THIS deluxe wheeled bazooka setup!

I haven't seen anything nicer than that one! OTC Tire Bead Seater - #5713

Although this uses a "tire ring" which is new to me:

This guy used a bicycle tube, which was explained earlier:

which is a 16 inch x 1.75 bicycle tube for a 16-inch car wheel.

Knowing how tightly a bead seats, I'm surprised the bicycle tube can be pulled out so easily.

Reply to
Arlen G. Holder

In keeping with American ingenuity, this guy uses "murphy's soap"

He calls the technique "beading up".

This guy uses the flamethrower method of lighting the aerosol:

Here's a tool review of the 10 gallon bazooka

What I love is that these tools eliminate the need for a helper!

Reply to
Arlen G. Holder

What ever could go wrong?

AMuzi

That's a lie. I told you I changed tires when I was a kid. I know EXACTLY what is involved, which is why for $15 a tire, I get them mounted and dynamically balanced at a tire shop.

Reply to
trader_4

I looked to see WHY but the article doesn't say WHY the accident occurred. "Authorities did not provide any additional information about the incident which is being investigated by a number of agencies including Cal/OSHA and the Los Angeles Port Police."

Since it occurred on MAY 15, 2019, we might be able to find something about HOW it happened (e.g., were they using the flame method?).

This is one thing that's a problem with news, which is that they don't bother to close the gap when they find out more, sometimes.

I searched for more information that was recent but haven't found it yet, so we really don't know what happened.

It does seem like those BIG tires do kill workers though... February 20, 2019 Worker Killed By Exploding Tire At John Wayne Airport

"One worker was on top of the tire, and the other on the bottom, when it exploded."

In both cases, I'd expect a report somewhere from Cal OSHA.

Here is a list of their main risks:

Arlen G. Holder

No mention in that article of using a flammable liquid or vapor to seat the bead explosively. Plenty of stories about exploding tires on split rims from improper technique which have nothing to do with fire.

This is why large truck tires on split rims are inflated in safety cages.

Mark Olson

I often found having the tire upright made it easier to inflate. Always partly mount one bead first by hand to center the rim in thr tire. Bouncing the tire a bit often helps get the final bead to set

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Only an idiot leaves them on - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Lots of "Ruglyde" on the rimand tire bead - without it the tube gets a big "snake-bite"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

inflate/mount them without a cage - lots of guys just chained them but I've seen them "jump the chain" - if you were within range it would cut you in half !!

Reply to
Clare Snyder