Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

Silicone was and is a good penetrating sealer. Its purpose is to prevent water intrusion and damage from same; in cold climates, water intrusion that then freezes will ultimately mess up any masonry because water expands as it freezes.

There are other penetrating sealers, one of which (name escapes me now) combines chemically with the ingredients in the masonry.

Reply to
dadiOH

I DID think a saw a missing chip.

Good, I got it right.

I think it stopped the chipping. Except on the chimney, that I hadn't touched.

Very good.

Reply to
micky

I have a oil burner, and I also burn ALOT of wood in my fireplace insert. So we clean the fireplace side annually, and the oil burner side every other year.

Yes, the chimney sweep guys say the intent of this sealer thing is supposed to keep water out to prevent spalling.

I took the photos when I was up on another part of my roof. Can't really get near the chimney due to roof slope. :(

Reply to
millinghill