cheap recommended magnification and lighted glasses?

Have recently set up a small work bench with scope, signal generator and various other test equipment. The only magnifier I have is a glass I cannibalized from a broken "helping hands". The glass is mounted to one of those small snake lamps with the lamp removed. However, I find this more inconvenient than convenient because it takes up space I need for working.

What would you recommend for glasses that's cheap, has a built in light and maybe has variable magnification and mag is such that I can view a circuit board without bending down over the device? I suppose a flip up or away magnifier might be useful too.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Erik W

This sort of thing ?

Not sure how far they focus - might be for close-up only ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've got something like this. Mine in the best Chinese tradition doesn't have a brand name and is slightly different.

It works but there are a couple of negatives. The LED is bright and can be adjusted to illuminate the work but the required batteries add to the weight and make the unit uncomfortable for extended wear.

The interchangeable lenses have little or no distortion but they also have a limited focal length. The higher magnifications means you've got to get pretty close to the work to focus.

I've used the bench mounted Luxo type and they're a lot better for extended periods of work. They're asl in the $200 range although cheaper brands are available.

Reply to
rbowman

If OP finds a suitable headband magnifier that doesn't have a built-in light - there are little hard-had < ball cap >

lights that could be made to work. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Those are for very close work. Only a few inches.

What may be more suitable is some of the surgical and dental glasses. They are the ones that have a focal length of over 1 to 2 feet.

I have not tried those but did try some of the other close in glasses. They are useless for soldering unless you have a heat proof nose.

I bit the bullet and bought an Amscope se400. It comes with 10 x and 20 x lenses. Not glasses, but a stereo mcroscope. They usually cost around $ 225. The company makes many different ones, but for just my hobby use the se400 is very good.

Ralph Mowery

Good idea. I've got a Petzl Tikkina that would work well and the headband would be more comfortable than supporting the batteries and light assembly on the bridge of your nose.

Reply to
rbowman