OT: What Is This Dell Laptop Feature?

Dell Latitude E6330, lower right corner of DVD drive to right of the drawer opening button and emergency opening hole.

This push in/push out drawer comes out about half an inch. Nothing inside it, doesn't seem to do anything, no reference to it in owner's manual or on Dell support site.

So what is it?

Picture here:

Wade Garrett

Pull on it - does it release the drive from the drive bay ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Pushing it should open drive which you may have to pull out a little further to get in a DVD. I do not have a Dell but looks similar to my HP.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Nope, the DVD drawer opening button is to the left of it. It's only about an inch wide.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Aha!! Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

We both learned something.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My T500 is similar, but it has a little slide-button that releases the spring-loaded pull-tab :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Does it eject the laptop from the airplane?

Reply to
micky

You don't believe everything you see on the Internets, do you?

Reply to
micky

to the online manual

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Curious where and in what manual you found that. I re-read what I saw on the Dell website several times and didn't see anything!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's on a need-to-know basis. If your drive were to break, you'd get an email.

Reply to
micky

On Thu, 13 May 2021 08:26:11 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to digest...

Sometime they make it hard to find. It may be in the user manual or tech support. Does yours have a screw?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 12 May 2021 10:04:24 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to digest...

Push it in, it will pop out about a 1/2 inch - wrap your fingers and pull the drive carrier out.

****** BUT ******** IIRC Make sure the screw is out from the bottom first!

Go to to

and enter your service tag and you will find a wealth of info on your machine. It is on the bottom of the machine and can be brought up during the boot process.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Did that but couldn't find the info on the website or the manuals. Problem was solved here though!!

There is no screw on the bottom of my Latitude and following the recommended procedure allowed the entire DVD to be removed

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's on page 16 of the user's manual available at

Clare Snyder

Thanks. I guess I'd better make an appointment to get my eyeglass prescription checked.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

On Thu, 13 May 2021 18:42:10 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to digest...

Great, IDT the DVD with can be replaced by a non Dell one. I am often wrong so I'm glad you accomplished your objective, now if I were so lucky...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 14 May 2021 09:20:55 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to digest...

Occasional brain fart...

Reply to
Tekkie©