Recommended cheap tile adhesive for walls?

What would be a cheap tile adhesive for an undemanding application, to new dried plaster, normal light ceramic tiles in a bathroom/shower location?
Unlike the floors, I don't need anything fancy - but now I've plowed through all the fancy products, I'm somewhat lost now I need something normal...
Using Mapei for everything else, but this doesn't have to be one of theirs. All I know is I'm happy to mix from powder as it's probably better and I'm not bothered about vertical slip properties as I'll be using tile spacers.
Ta
Tim

Bal Greenstar, 15kg, 5.70 +VAT from Topps with a Trade Card. Good quality stuff, I have used it for the last year with no problems at all. Alan.

Thanks Alan - that sounds like the ticket.
Cheers
Tim

Just to confirm - that was the ready mixed stuff (the only version I can see on the web)?
Cheers
Tim

Yes: <http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod2927/section172/Bal-Green-Star-15KG.ht ml>
20 retail, so it is best to get a trade card. Alan.

Not a disimmilar price at wallsandflooors.co.uk, which is where I'm getting my tiles :)
I noticed in the Greenstar datasheet they say to roughen (with a brush) and SBR (1:4) prime polished new plaster.
Have you ever done that?
Cheers
Tim

Similar to your trade price I meant :)

A bad idea?
Tiles are moderate-huge price, labour is high but the tile adhesive is peanuts. False economy to go cheap here, as the cheap ones aren't good. They have poor water resistance, they might not work so well long term and (most importantly) they're unpleasant to work with. In particular, avoid combined "stick & grout" products, as they do neither well (and are horrid to work with). If you want to save money, buy dry powder and mix it yourself. Now that is a useful saving.
As suggested, Bal works.
I'd also advise care in choosing your grout. Go for the best you can, this is the factor that makes a huge difference between a job that looks good for a month and one that looks good for years. Especially if anyone dyes their hair! I'd appreciate a good recommendation for this myself, for something that's really waterproof and doesn't yellow - I've been disappointed by the yellowing of epoxies before.
A projected line laser and a real rubber tiler's sponge are well worth having.

Thanks Andy - I agree - I phrased the question badly. "Cheap" as in "cheaper compared to the flexible stuff I'm using on the floors".

Yes - I've used that as a quick patchup up to replace some loose tiles. It sticks but its grouting abilities leave much to be desired.

That's not a problem - I'm used to mixing my own adhesive.

Cool "It works" from people who've used it is a good gauge.

That much I've sorted - I'm using (for walls and floors) Mapei Keracolour (there are various sub models like FF and others) - and adding Fugolastic additive where flexibility is required on the floor.

Check - I have Stanley cross line jobbie. It's accurate to within the mm or so that you can reckon the line to (it can be a thick line at a distance but I've got good at working to the estimated middle). Already paid for it's 90 quid ebay cost several times over in general usefulness.

I've got a rubber grout float.
By sponge, do you mean one of these:
http://tooltray.com/Grout-Floats-%26-Sponges/10-2916-Big-D-Grout-Sponge.htm
?
Cheers
Tim

Mine is this: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id 364
Rather than this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id 365
I can't speak for float vs. lump, but real rubber works far better than PU foam.

Ah - I see. Ta for that.
Cheers
Tim
In article

I fairly recently did a large bathroom with porcelain tiles - on a mixture of wall types. And quality of wall finish too. Used Homebase ready mixed 'waterproof' stuff which is listed as a combined stick and grout - although I didn't use it for the grout. And I had no complaints. How would another type have improved on it? I did try Wicks stuff which was cheaper, and that was rubbish. But to be fair didn't say suitable for porcelain.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Maybe it works OK as a grout, but the "Sunday afternoon special" I used was sufficiently non-viscous that I couldn't keep it on the trowel when applying it for tiling. I got there in the end and the job's probably fine afterwards, but it was unpleasant to work with.
In article

Ah. The Homebase stuff wasn't cheap - but I got it on a BOGOF sort of deal. Which made it cheaper than the 'branded' ones. And it stuck to anything. Of course it's likely made by one of the major brands anyway.
--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Andy Dingley wrote:

The last shower I did with nicobond powdered grout, and then sealed it with Lithofin grout protector. It does not change the appearance of the grout but makes it far less likely to discolour or stain.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd overlooked that - cheers John - I'll get some of that on too.
Cheers
Tim
Tim S wrote:

Note that a little goes a long way - I only used about 250ml for 15m^2 of tiling.
--
Cheers,

John.

Any tips on application... Is it paint on and wipe excess off tiles? Or does it need to be applied with extreme care?
Ta
Tim
Tim S wrote:

Small brush, paint along the grout lines and just wipe off any residue on the tiles as you go IIRC. Pretty simple to use.
--
Cheers,

John.

Sounds great - it's on the shopping list :)