I searched previous posts on this topic and did not find an answer, so
if I missed it, I appologize.
We have a residential Chamberlain Lift-Master ½ H.P. (Part No. 41A5021-
E, Date: 04/00) garage door opener with a remote control problem; it
continues to work fine with the regular 110V switch. (It worked fine
with the remote up to the date it failed.)
I suspected the remote control needed a new battery, so I bought new
batteries and replaced them in both remotes. That failed; I thought
maybe the new batteries were bad, so I bought another set and again
replaced the batteries; still no luck with either remote. What else
can I check before calling for a service repair?
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Have you tried unplugging the power for a minute? Chamberlains
sometimes have problems that are cleared up by doing that.
If re-synching the remotes to the overhead unit doesn't work, I'd
suspect a broken antenna in that unit because the wire sometimes
cracks, right at the circuit board, but it may look fine because the
break is inside the wire insulation. Don't work on the opener except
with the power turned off, both because of electric shock hazard and
the possibility that the opener may unexpectedly turn on and yank your
hair (some people have literally been scalped) or cut off a finger.
Also use an insulated ladder, bench, or chair, not a metal one,
because of the exposed high voltage.
Sometimes remotes go bad because the circuit board or a solder joint
cracks from being flexed when the button is pressed, but it's unlikely
both remotes would develop such a problem simultaneously.
If you contact Chamberlain, try to speak with a real technician, not
an installer. The techs know a lot more, such as the problem old
models had with the wall button that was solved by replacing it with a
fancier lighted button (had to do with Chamberlain using the same
wires for the button and the optical sensors and different voltage
levels for each).
It is hard to believe both remotes failed at exactly the same time, so
it is 99.9% likely the receiver has failed. The power off for 10
minutes, and then trying to resync sounds like what I would do. The
receiver output puts a relay closure across the same pair of contacts
that the wall activation switch shorts out, so if the wall switch
still works, that leaves only the receiver. A cracked printed wiring
path is likely, especially where the antenna is connected to the
Printed Wiring Board (pwb). You could try resoldering the copper
paths on the pwb, buts it sounds like you don't have much experience
along those lines. Maybe you could get a skilled DIYer in your area
to do the soldering for you for a beer or two.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.