chain-link fence installation

I'm going to be installing a chain-link fence to enclose a backyard. The sides of the house are the part that is confusing me as to how to set it up.

Reference the diagram below. Where 'f' is an existing neighbors wood stockade fence, 'x' will be where i put my chain-link fence and '-' and '|' are my house.

fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx f x f x f x f x f x f ---------------------------- x f | | x f | | x | | | | ----------------------------

On the left-side, we want to put an arborway with a built-in little gate. On the right-side, we will put a in a single gate chain link door.

My questions I guess are how to fill in the gaps. On the left-side there isn't any existing poles or new poles to tap off of. On the right-side, there a a concrete section that is the foundation of my patio on one side, to I wouldn't be able to put a pole right up against the patio to perfectly enclose it.

Any ideas, or general reccomendations when not fully enclosing a yard (front and back) with chain-link?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scot

Scott,

You can't use any existing poles at all to install chain link properly. I will hit the basics but a quick visit to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up a how to brochure is worth the time. Here's a limited online basic guide.

You are going to need a terminal post at each rear corner. One at the front left and right and two more on each side to hang the gates. A line post every 7-10 feet and all the goodies. They do sell a clamp on gadget that will allow you to bridge about a 5-6 inch gap when you can't dig right next to the house. You can also "field engineer solutions like welding a mounting plate to the bottom of a post to attach it to a slab.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks Colby.

The Lowes document is what I have been using already, but your "clamp on gadget" is I think the solution to my problem.

Scot

Scott they may not have that at Lowes but will have it at a full line fence supplier. It clamps to the terminal post and allows a pipe (line post size I think) to be held in place about 6" to the left or right of the T-post depending on how you mount it. You may want to track it down and get exact measures before you dig as it is a fixed width.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt