Wasps in chain-link fence gate posts

My chain link fence has a chain link gate, which uses regular fence posts cut short for the sides of the gate panels. Since the gate has hinges, obviously the bottoms of the posts are not set in the ground.

Unfortunately, the openings at the bottom of those posts have become an entrance for some large orange wasps who seem to have nested there. I am sensitive to stings, and so have to use the gate with a can of flying-insect-killer in my hand.

I have been unable to find commercially-made caps that have a screen rather than being solid. Any suggestions on how I can keep the wasps out while still allowing air in to prevent corrosion?

-dan z-

Reply to
dyno dan

Shove in a ball of steel wool?

Reply to
TimR

Buy solid caps and drill some small holes in them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Or a brass scouring pad that won't rust Although I don't understand the post, why air would prevent corrosion, where the openings are. I don't think I would call the sides of a chain link fence gate "posts", and I don't remember what they look like.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, you'd be better off using solid caps, maybe dump in a couple of silica gel packets before gluing or soldering them on.

Reply to
TimR

If galvanized they should not corrode and any cap would do. As far as wasps I find just attacking the nest anytime with a spray will not bring them on to attack you. I killed a yellow jacket nest this summer with a gallon of Sevin spray mid day.

Reply to
Frank

As long as the screen is 1/8" or less. Wasps can get trough 3/16" according to Google.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was told to put mothballs in the holes where carpenter bees live. They might help for wasps too.

No American is free whenever one felon or crackpot is not able to get an AR-15.

Reply to
micky

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to try the brass scrubber pushed in.

-dan z-

Reply to
dyno dan

Set off a fogger in a garbage bag sealed around with duck tape and leave the area for a day or so?

Reply to
bruce bowser