Car battery

No, it isn't. It's hyphen, hyphen, space, return.

So is the space.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I attended classes at The University of Alabama while in the womb. I care nothing about football so I'm considered an evil heretic in my home country of Alabamastan. If football vanished today, the only thing about it that would bother me would be having to listen to all the grown men whining, bitching and complaining that they now have to pay attention to their wives and girlfriends. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Folks in southern NV mark the passage of 3 years living here with a new car battery. That's how long they last, regardless of who makes them. Heat is a battery's enemy.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

103f, 12% RH today. That means it's "humid as Hell" outside, compared to most days here in Las Vegas. You don't sweat on days like this. It evaporates too quickly. Instead, you soon find yourself coated with a sand-like grit. . . salts from your evaporated perspiration. Lick your lips and they're salty.

Nonny. . . but it's a 'dry' heat, as we say.

Reply to
Nonny

It's currently 97F with 38%RH, so it's dry as a bone here.

Ovens are a "dry heat" too.

Reply to
keith

I've seen a lot of silly people turn on their headlights before starting their car because that's what some idiot told them to do.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Mojave Desert Nevada:

Car - second battery in 14 years

Truck - third battery in 16 years

Might hit 107 ° today. We must be special.

Reply to
Oren

I go with that. What I have done when confronted with an unexpected flat battery on a cold morning is to pour warm/ hottish water over it (being careful not to link the two terminals) to make it excited enough to get me going - with success on all occasions (to my recollection).

Reply to
Clot

Does this truncate when you hit reply?

-- "Tell me I forget, teach me I remember, involve me I learn." - Ben Franklin

Reply to
Oren

It does in *my* newsreader, but that's non-standard behavior, and should not be depended on. See full description of standard format here:

Doug Miller

It's a cool dry 80F and 60% humidity here in the "interlaken" district of south central Ontario - down from the 90+F and 90+% of earlier this week.

Reply to
clare

Gee.

"...must be delimited from the body of the message by a single line consisting of exactly two hyphens, followed by a space, followed by the end of line.."

All this time I figgered the NNTP servers would resolve the sig line and truncate it.

Reply to
Oren

See my other comment above. I've been in Vegas since '95.

One new battery for a 14 year old car and two for the 16 year old truck.

Batteries last longer when corroded cables are replaced and other things done for maintenance.

YMMV

Reply to
Oren

might depend on wether vehicle is stored outdoors in sun or indoors in nice cool garage....

Reply to
hallerb

Out here in the desert, my truck lives outside.

3rd battery since my bride drove it here across country (1995)
Reply to
Oren

it also depends if the battery was MADE for high temperature or not. Batteries in high temperature areas should have weaker acid. In cold weather areas a fully charged battery should be about 1.242 SG, while in hot countries a full charge of 1.150 to 1.1180 is plenty high enough. Lower acid strength means less self discharge, and less tendancy to sulphate the plates - along with a bit less capacity and power - but at 80F the car does not need as much cranking power as at

-30F - and it is running at full output instead of as little as 50% on a cold battery.

Reply to
clare

It's basically an under-hood chemistry set, so heat should kick it into gear(no pun). I've worked on outdoor stationary equipment that had battery warmers along with engine coolant warmers.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oh, I like to watch football, alright. ...just not SEC, which is far worse than not caring. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yes.

Reply to