Butt Joint on 6" trim @ 90 degrees

New house removed some ugly built-ins and there is a gap where the trim ends. Straight run on brand new trim. I REALLY don't want to remove the existing trim that meets on outer corners for fear of screwing them up as well.
What would be the best way to butt join a piece of trim on a straight run without removing the existing trim. I know I could just slap some glue on each end and nail it up, but then I'd be waiting on the crack to open up when things got colder.
How about corrugated nails? Any other technique to solve this?
Thanks.
On 7/21/2020 11:25 AM, ArghArgh wrote:

Don't even think about the corrugated nail thing...all you'll do is split it or worse...
If don't have one, get a Harbor Freight multitool and use it to make 45 on the existing piece (best to be long end out; hides the gap better to slide new piece behind).
Then miter the new end and glue and nail as usual...finish with a little painters caulk and paint.

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 12:48:42 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Help me out with this "multitool" is it like a dremel or something?