Restricting a door to open 90 degrees

I have a door into a main bedroom behind which is a glass sliding wardrobe door. The sliding door is at 90 degrees to the door wall and is tight against the architrave. I cant use a standard door stop for obvious reasons and I also can't use a floor mounted stop as the floor is laminate and obviously needs to be free to move.

A couple of alternatives spring to mind.

  1. Can I get hinges that restrict the opening to 90 degrees. I know this would stress the frame but this door doesn't get thrown open, this is just a last resort to save the glass.

  1. I have seen hinge pin mounted door stops on US and Canadain sites:
    can't find a UK source.

  2. I know that there are sliding rod door restrictors which fit between the underside of the frame and the top of the door, but they only seem to be for uPVC doors.

Any ideas?

Peter Hawkins

Reply to
Peter hawkins

A simple old fashioned rubber doorstop?

Reply to
EricP

I think you could make a metal bracket that screwed to the wall above the door or to the door frame itself. Imagine something L shaped maybe 9" long on each leg with a rubber door stop attached to the end of one arm. Open the door to where you want it to stop. Position the bracket so the rubber stop is hard up against the door and screw it into place. A standard shelf bracket would probably do the job with a minor tweak or two and maybe a downwards bend in the arm that sticks out from the wall.

Another alternative is to find out where the fully open door contacts the wardrobe and screw a soft pad of some sort to the door itself.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Problem is that it's the internal door handle that contacts the glass, guaranteed to shatter it. The frustrating thing is that both products I mention above would do the trick, if only I could get hold of either of them !

Reply to
Peter hawkins

You can use a floor mounted stop - all you need to do is drill a hole in the laminate that is a few mm bigger than the screw(s) going through it.

Reply to
Grunff

I was thinking of that but there would have to be some sort of spacer such that screwing down the stop wouldn't grip the laminate against the sub-floor, otherwise the stop couldn't be fixed tight and would like as not come free with the sound of breaking glass !

Reply to
Peter hawkins

Washers?

Or just glue the stopper to the laminate?

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Just screw it down tight. It will be fine. The laminate will still be able to move sufficiently.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its just a pity, that US/Canadian hinge stop would have been perfect !

Reply to
Peter hawkins

If you have enough depth on the frame, you could drill a vertical hole and use a weighted cord with plate c/w a corresponding plate on the door...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Peter why don't you send an email to allmar and ask them for a sample of their hinge pin stop. They may just oblige - worth a try.

Reply to
mackem

Peter: I was thinking in terms of a piece of chain and two screw hooks, same as we do, to not have our outside storm doors blow away. We put our doors on a short leash when the midwinter Atlantic gales blow! We once had a fairly lightweight aluminium/glass storm door blow back against the house and smash. The imprint of its door handle was impressed into the pine lapboard siding! So when I build a shed I make a wooden door storm door! Metal chain a bit noisy even if contained within a piece of plastic sleeving or a section of an old bicycle inner tube! Plastic chain probably not strong enough? If you could give me reference (or pix) to that Canadian 'hinge stop' I could go into one of our local building supply/hardware stores during the next few days and see if I can find one for you. This is a small city area some 1000 miles from larger Canadian population centres, here in the east but most things seem to be available and prices much the same as rest of North America.. Let me know. Terry, just north of St. John's, Provincial Capital of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Reply to
Terry

but can't find a UK source.

Peter could you not adapt the stays which hold horizontal cupboard doors open. Door closers restrict the opening of a door to 90 degrees. PJ

Reply to
PJ