Weed Wacker: using it tipped 90 degrees

Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

Unless your manual (or a call to Customer Support) tells you differently, it's fine to use a gas string trimmer as an edger.

Acording to Roger Cook from Ask this Old House at:

"Once or twice a month, run down the edge with a string trimmer turned vertical and trim off any shaggy ends. Be sure to wear safety glasses and ear protection."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use the weedeater tipped on its side to trim the edge of the lawn. With a steady hand and walking slowing backwards, it produces a very nice trim. I have been doing this to the same weedeater since 1992. Two-stroke engines use oil mixed into the gasoline. If yours is a

4-stroke (which I doubt) you may have issues.
Reply to
Phisherman

That's exactly right, Phisherman. If the OP is mixing oil in his gas he's OK for turning the unit on its side. Hey, Hobbes, how 'bout bringing it over to my house and edge my sidewalk for me. I hate that job.

Reply to
C & E

If it is a two stroke (mix gas and oil together) I don't see any problem as the oil in the gas is what lubricates the engine. So using it as an edger is no problem. I know they can be used upside down if you have the chain saw attachment.

I don't have any experience with the four stroke models and can't imagin that they are dry sumped so they can be operated in all angles of attack. Two stroke + OK. Four stroke = ????.

I'm sure someone will come along that owns one of the four stroke models and kniow the answer.

Reply to
RLM

I use mine at 90 all the time. But for edging, I use it straight on from the side. Flat on the plane of the sidewalk. When I have cut in to the edge of the grass, I lift up and push. The finished work is a rounded edge of grass instead of the butch hair cut look of the straight down cut.

HTH. Your wacker is made to work in pretty much any position, tho.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Should not be a problem at all. And the pickup inside the fuel tank of a 2-stroke has about 3" of hose with a filter on it. This enables the hose to scoop fuel regardless of what position the machine is in.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles

OldRoads

I don't have any problems, but then I have an battery power string trimmer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you mix oil and gas for your trimmer it's fine. Don't know about 4 cycle trimmers, consult the manufacturer.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On my corded electric (a ten-buck garage sale Toro, model unknown), I find that using it in upright position makes the string bust off at the exit hole on the reel a lot easier. This thing is a real PITA that way- I have to stop and rethread 3-4 times every time I use it, anyway. Good thing I only bother to trim 3-4 times a mowing season.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I use mine on the side with a saw or cross blade when going thru thick briers. I swing it fast and high to start so it doesn't clog and it chews everything into small pieces ;)

nick hull