semi-gloss enamel in an oil-based or acrylic semi-gloss enamel

Hello

Am having the interior of my home painted.

The painter is giving me the option of semi-gloss enamel in an oil-based or acrylic semi-gloss enamel for the:

doors, door frames, baseboards, window frame, stair risers and the fireplace mantle.

The price is the same, what are the pros and cons of oil and acrylic and is there anything to consider in terms of touch up or maintenance?

Which way should I go?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

"Tube Audio" wrote on 15 Oct 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Semi-gloss is good for trim. It makes the trim pop, visually. It's also easier to clean.

I hate oil-based paint because it's messy and harder to apply (that's me as a painter). I love oil-based paint because it "flows" better and you get a smoother finish, hiding brush strokes. It takes two months to cure to where it's hard all the way through.

Water-based paint is cleaner and easier to apply, cures in a couple of weeks, and doesn't smell as much.

Touch-up and maintenance are probably about the same with both types. You'll probably have to throw away the brush if you do touch-up with oil-based paint, unless you don't mind cleaning with paint thinner. (Buy disposable chip brushes.)

Preparation is the most important step. Make sure the painter cleans all the walls, fills and sands chips, and either sands or uses a deglosser on the trim. Ask to see some work he's done before.

Reply to
Steve

If oil is on the trim now, go oil.

Reply to
ransley

Oil will make a better looking (smoother) job. It is harder. It washes easily. If you recoat (or need to fix a spot) someday, it sands well in prep for the new.

My opinion: if it's wood, use oil.

Reply to
dadiOH