Brass Corrosion: Removal?

Got a couple of brass fittings where the moving parts are corroded to where they don't move anymore.

Is there some household substance that they could be soaked in to dissolve the corrosion?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Got a couple of brass fittings where the moving parts are corroded to where they don't move anymore.

Is there some household substance that they could be soaked in to dissolve the corrosion?

Reply to
Larry

WD40

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd try using CLR.

Reply to
nestork

Per Larry:

Just mixed it up: 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/8 cup salt.

Couple days soaking... and we will see.

Thanks.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

On the farm that was a good job for "milk stone remover" - which was just strong food grade phosphoric acid.

Reply to
clare

Catsup.

Reply to
dadiOH

Per (PeteCresswell):

On the trigger snap that was really brass, it worked 100%: it's fully-operational now.

On the other piece that I *thought* was brass, it removed the external corrosion, but did not penetrate to the inner workings. Probably not a brass/non-brass issue... just a matter of penetration. I'll let it soak awhile longer and see what happens.

Bottom Line: the water/vinegar/salt solution works.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Rare, in this society, that anything works. Thank you for sharing.

Wish my wax drip method worked as well as I'd have liked.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

sez you!