keyed entry door knob problem

Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?

Reply to
Frank Thompson

If this worked before and just stopped, try putting a little oil on the bolt. They can get dry and bind. If this never worked, look at the strike and be sure there is a camming action when it closes. (The ramp on the strike, hits the sloped part of the bolt)

My bet is the oil fixes it. My garage door does the same thing about every other year if I don't lube it. There is a chance that it might just be wear in the bolt but I am not replacing it for 3 drops of oil

Reply to
gfretwell

Even when the door is open the latch cannot be pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly. The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Make sure the trigger bolt (the small D shaped thing behind the main bolt) is not binding. You still may just need a squirt of oil in the bolt assembly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Give it a week. It's probably just the flu.

Reply to
micky

Part of the deadlatching mechanism is gone bad.

If it's a common brand of lock, replace the latch. Is there a brand on the edge of the door? I may have a replcement latch I can ship to you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly. The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

Watch for gut pain, and vomitting. Might be the balla.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, that's it! That little tongue on the back has to be out for the strike plate to push the latch in without turning the knob.

Reply to
J Burns

Oren posted for all of us...

Yeah, it's a nail biting, white knuckle ride going on here.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The guy I worked for, doing heating. He says customers always whine "but it worked yesterday".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sounds like useful information, indicating that it was installed properly, like the door latch.

Reply to
J Burns