Brake fluid in power steering?

I've never had a car with such a light, I'm supposed to notice the dial has moved to the right slightly.

I assume future DOTs are backwards compatible. I don't buy a computer with USB 3 ports and find USB 1 devices fail to work.

You already said that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cost? 4 is usually a little cheaper than 5.1 but it's not like either is really expensive. It's the 5 that is pricey and sometimes hard to find.

Reply to
rbowman

My mother was in her 70's when I had to convince her she could drive an automatic transmission. Then she found out about power steering and thought that was a really slick invention. She'd only been driving for

50 years before she ran into power anything.

My wife often became the designated driver. I had a '49 Chrysler Imperial with a straight 8 cast iron engine. It had an automatic transmission, sort of, but no PS. It wasn't bad on the highway but she often said very unladylike words trying to parallel park the beast.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a Peugeot 505 with such an indicator. That was in the 1980s.

Reply to
charles

Maybe I don't tend to buy top of the range cars, but every car I've had only has a temperature guage. It's unlikely you notice it's moved to the right before it's too late for the engine.

Since the temperature is usually ok, it would be better and cheaper to fit all cars with just a red warning lamp, and remove the guage?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Neither of those has a warning light. Golf 1998 Mk 4 1.9 TDI, Scenic 2002 Mk 1 1.6 petrol.

Most people don't stare at the guages, maybe those that watch their speed do. I don't do that.

Are you sure it wasn't the stupid designer that made a weird symbol instead of using a word? My Range Rover had a warning light that flummoxed two garages! Eventually I found out it meant "low window washer fluid". The garages checked everything related to the engine coolant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Show me a picture of these fictitious lamps.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's actually the opposite in cars built in the last several decades, at least. Every one I've been involved with had an over temp warning light, most had a temp gauge too, but not all. This is ridiculous. For decades now cars have had computers that monitor everything, including temperature. To not have it warn the driver of an impending catastrophic failure would be really dumb.

Reply to
trader_4

But its trivial to download a new one for free.

You're the one that needs to do that.

Wont fit on most dashes with that many lights.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The owners manual says that it does.

Very likely. You normally have to have a hose blow to lose the water or have the thermostat fail to get it to light.

That is complete and utter pig ignorant drivel.

More complete and utter pig ignorant drivel.

It was with that one;. That f****it didn't even know if the light was meant to be on or not. That's what he said first, 'is that light supposed to be on ?'

Trivial to look it up online. Or get real radical and ring the dealer.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well it didn't warn me when it got hot. Show me this reference.

It should light as soon as it's too hot - i.e. about 3/4s of the temp guage scale.

Wrong. Engines hate heat.

Wrong. Engines hate heat.

That does seem a little daft, red normally means bad. What did the light look like?

The dealer would probably charge £50 for the info. My Honda dealer wanted that much just to tell me which ABS sensor to replace, before they even bought it or fitted it. Dealers are criminal cowboys.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That was a Renault Espace, K reg whatever year that is. And there was no light, just the guage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or, instead of a bunch of old fashioned analog gauges, put in a nice big flat panel display that beeps and displays a human readable problem/solution message when there's a problem.

For example:

"Hey dumbass, you've only got 20 psi in your left front tire.  Go to Harbor Freight and buy an air compressor.  Inflate tire to 32 psi."

or

"Hey dumbass, you're low on radiator coolant and you're about to cook your engine.  Drive to a safe area, shut the fucker off and arrange repair."

or

"Hey dumbass, you're alternator does not appear to be charging your battery.  Turn off all unneeded accessories and arrange repair."

Reply to
Frankie Trowbridge

They seldom tell you what you need to know, usually just say "take to a dealer". Why do you think Haynes manuals exist?

Trivial to have one display that can show any text.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The dumbass is the designer of the car that made it fail in the first place. In the 21st century things should be way more reliable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or you were too stupid to even notice it.

Page 1.68

It does.

It lights when you need to stop and let it cool down, as the manual says.

Must be why the one I just had worked fine after the thermostat was replaced.

Must be why the one I just had worked fine after the thermostat was replaced.

Usual red thermometer.

Bullshit with what a dash light means.

That's not telling you what a particular dash light means if you are too stupid to look it up in the manual.

Not with telling you what a dash light means if you are too stupid to read the manual.

They all have the manual online now, even Land Rover

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bullshit with what a particular light on the dash means if you are actually too stupid to work out what the icon indicates.

To spell out how to fix something that has broken and needs to be fixed or replaced.

But that would see fools like you crash when you read it with your lips moving while driving.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They are but there is no way to force the most stupid like you to check the coolant level occasionally and it isnt economic to have a system which checks if just plain water is used or to ensure tha no hose can ever leak etc or that no thermostat will ever fail.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Neither of them have an overheat warning. I've driven both remember.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Problem is that fools like you will try to read that while hooning around at twice the speed limit and crash.

Not economically viable to have no hoses to the radiator.

And does nothing about thermostat failure.

Reply to
Rod Speed