Brake fluid in power steering?

Gonna open you hood mama an' check yo oil...

Reply to
rbowman

In the future I daresay you will not be given the choice.

Reply to
Xeno

I very much doubt that. GM Hydramatics used fluid couplings for a very long time from 1939 when they were first introduced. English vehicles such as Daimler used fluid couplings from 1930.

Dual clutch systems are by no means *common*.

Reply to
Xeno

So how would you describe a torque converter if not a fluid coupling?

They are in europe.

Reply to
blt_srl0O

You stated above that *Autos have always had torque converters*. A fluid coupling without a stator cannot multiply torque so it cannot be considered a torque converter in any way shape or form. On the other hand, all torque converters are, first and foremost, a fluid coupling. They just have an added component, the stator, and that is from whence the torque multiplication is derived.

I gave you two examples of vehicles with fluid couplings that were *not* torque converters. I could give you more, especially in the truck and bus field, usually coupled with pre-select gearboxes. The bottom line, not every fluid coupling is a torque converter and not every auto is fitted with torque converters. So your statement, that I quoted above, is based on a false premise.

Hmm, I don't reside in Europe. Nor do a great proportion of the world's people I gather.

The VW group love them. I don't. I much prefer wet clutches, dual or single, as they can be adequately cooled. The greatest bugbear of dual plate dry clutches is *cooling*. The worst situation is in traffic inching situations.

Reply to
Xeno

From 80 years ago.

Fine, 99.9% of automatic gearboxes have been torque converter based. Happy? Some ICE cars had rotary engines but the vast majority have pistons.

In case you hadn't noticed this group is "UK.rec.driving". Have a guess what the UK part means.

They're not great for towing either apparently. Presumably they overheat on the pull away.

Reply to
blt_1Aryeyd

Only if oil runs out, which will make life far more interesting in very aspect.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the future I expect technology to have improved to make them at least as good as petrol cars. They just need to make the batteries cheaper and last longer - and battery technology is one of the things that's advancing very quickly at the moment.

However what people fail to realise is they're not cheaper to run at all. The reason electricity costs far less than petrol is the government taxes petrol like crazy. When everyone has an electric car, they'll find a way to steal the money from us again.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A fluid coupling is a 2 element power transfer device analogous to a powered fan blowing at a non-powered fan and making it turn. It is VERY in-efficient but also very simple. A torque converter is a specialized form of fluid coupling with 3 or more elements. The additional elements are "stators" and redirect the fluid flow from the pump to the turbine to maximize torque transfer and significantly improve efficiency by amplifying torque when a speed difference occurs betweenthe pump and the turbine -

They are "common" on high-dollar cars in Europe. High-dollar also refers to he repairs of such vehicles.

Talking Porsche Carrera, Audi TT-s, MB AMG, BMW M4, Nissan GTR, Accura NSX, Alfa 4c, and VW Golf R. Hyundai Veloster Turbo, etc

not on audi A4 or A6, Porche Boxter? MB 5 series, Nissan Sentra, Elantra GT etc.

So I wouldn't say COMMON.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Aren't you people trying not to reside in Europe?

Reply to
rbowman

Have a guess what more than one newsgroup in the send list means. I'll give you a hint - crossposting.

Reply to
Xeno

If you don't know the difference between the EU and Europe then perhaps don't post on that topic.

Reply to
blt_k1sq0

I post to uk.rec.driving. If others add spurious crossposts thats not my problem.

Reply to
blt_m00n41wy

Not even possible. In spades with planes.

Soorree, fresh out of magic wands to wave.

But doesn't get even close to the price of a tank of petrol and can't be recharged anything like as quickly.

While battery swapping might conceivably get close time wise, there is no way to stop someone swapping a good battery for a f***ed one and no way to test how f***ed a battery is quickly and charge those who show up with a f***ed battery for the cost of a new one or just tell them to f*ck off with their f***ed battery.

That mangles the real story too.

Even without the taxes on petrol, its still much more expensive than the cheapest overnight electricity. In spades with those who can charge their car with the electricity from their own solar panels at home.

Not possible when you generate it yourself.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No one is talking about planes.

Apparently others do since thats exactly whats happened over the last 10 years.

And it never will - you'll simply have to put up with waiting 30 mins to "refill" instead of 3. Get used to it.

Battery swapping is not feasible - the amount of space required to store them would be ridiculous and constant swapping wouldn't do the connectors on the battery or the car any good over time.

Hah, you think? Road tax will simply go through the roof. You wait and see.

Reply to
blt__dxk5jq1

What about electrolyte swapping?

30 minutes is not feasible at all. Nevermind the inconvenience, think how big refuelling stations would have to be!
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can charge AA batteries in 10 minutes, the charger is made by Uniross and has a cooling fan. This could easily be integrated into cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lithium batteries don't use fluids.

There won't be refueling stations , there'd simply be charging points scattered around the place - in car parks, supermarkets, streets etc etc.

Reply to
blt_94

From what I've seen there are stupid stipulations in the deals which leave us tied to their rules.

A proper exit should have been instantaneous. They're clearly trying to back down a bit. If you're told to stop having bonfires in your garden, you don't gradually stop it over a couple of years.

She was put in without an election. Americans correctly think this is insane.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey