Brake fluid in power steering?

Built in monitoring would report the battery's maximum capacity and other stats each time it was charged and it would be taken out of service when it fell below a defined capacity. That level could be set as an industry standard or even a legal limit, just as petrol from different companies has to meet certain requirements.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Golly. It never made the price of houses sensible. Or aeroplanes.

I wonder if its to do wioth et number of man hours involved in making one?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

CVTs have reached the point where fuel economy on cars so equipped matches or betters manual transmission equipped cars. Some of that relates to efficiencies *within* the transmission, the remainder relates to the CVTs ability to keep the engine at the point of MBT where you get the maximum bang for your buck.

The old very early GM Hydramatics were the last transmissions that sucked fifty percent of the engine's power. The world has long moved on from them.

Reply to
Xeno

The auto buses had very long rear overhangs, rear engined IIRC - for one thing. They were a relatively short bus too, at least when compared with their replacements.

Reply to
Xeno

Two speed splitter diff. Typically gives you 8 speeds on a 4 speed box or 12 speeds on a 6 speed box. Gives you ratios between the gearbox ratios, works well. Doesn't take long to get the hang of using one. Look for a little switch on the gearstick just below the knob. I shouldn't think they would be common these days.

Speaking of that, if you feel you're getting cocky when you master a 6 speed crash gearbox (no synchros at all), try a 6 speed with a splitter box and a joey box. 3 gearsticks to change at the same time. Yes, I have seen it done, and no, I will never be able to do it with any level of skill. Watching a professional truck driver shift 3 sticks at once is a humbling experience.

Reply to
Xeno

Why do you think the old time truckies looked like a keg on legs?

Reply to
Xeno

If it's a Jatco CVT (eg. Nissan) - the plague is more preferable. An Aisin (Toyota) seems to have passed muster reliability wise, especially since the Prius has used them since the 90s.

What did he say? I can't recall. What I will say is that if they are fitted with dry clutch plates, avoid. You need to adopt a new method for incing in peak hour traffic else you overheat and burn out clutch plates. Double whammy if said vehicle also has a dual mass flywheel.

At this point in time, they cannot be relied on.

Reply to
Xeno

Yes, that's what I was referring to when I said they aren't reliable.

Reply to
Xeno

What about Hyundais, Volvos. Hondas ?

Their overall reliability is abyssmal to say the least. Which doesn't seem to matter on high-dollar supercars who's owners expect 15,000 dollar repair bills on a regular basis. The old addage - "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it"

Don't need reliability, particularly when the car reads street signs.

And presumably with the new EU mandated speed limit observing system the reliability will be fixed.

Its already fine with google maps and waze.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The EU can go f*ck itself, I'll be bypassing that shit. Could be good though if they think all cars have it, that means I can speed without worrying about the cameras.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The oldest buses I can think of were coaches when I was on a school bus. They were probably 10 years old then, so they must have been made in about 1980. Those had 5 or 6 gears. Some had a normal manual lever and behaved like a car - I remember the driver had to double-de-clutch, might have been just f***ed, not designed that way. Some had a very small (3 inch long) lever on the dash which I believe had an automatic clutch, but the driver selected the gear. I don't recall the driver ever doing anything which would have implied a splitter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've never driven a CVT, but then I'm sensible enough not to buy brand new cars with massive depreciation.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sure, and so will I but it will mean that the speed limit databases will have to be kept up to date and that will be good for me because it will mean that there will be lots of cars that use the database to drive the fancy advanced cruise control do that I don't have to do anything at every f****ng town on a long distance trip.

That wont be true. The EU mandate doesn't mean that you can't exceed the speed limit, just that you have to do it deliberately if you want to do that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Useless when all the cop cars have full time speed cameras.

Speed limit databases are needed with those too because they tell you what speed you need to be going at when you pass the camera, stupid.

Nope.

It doesn't work like that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

More likely because you have far fewer cops per head of population than we do.

Corse we do.

Fewer, actually.

None with any chance of being the govt have fewer cops as a policy platform.

Nope. Like I said, the range is so good that all you can see on the open highway is that there is a car coming towards you, no chance of being able to work out that it's a cop car.

Its even worse in the burbs, too much traffic to be able to pick the cop car. And the buggers hide the car in places like this too.

Corse you do with speed cameras in cop cars.

Makes you have to deliberately exceed the speed limit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We have too many as it is. Why does your government feel you need more?

Weren't you just saying the other day you didn't give a shit about pedantic things like spelling? Now you're on at me about fewer and less, which mean the same f****ng thing.

Vote for them anyway. Tactical voting won't get you anywhere.

I think ours have more stringent rules they have to follow. A cop can't do me for 90mph by travelling at 70mph himself and detecting me at 20 more than him. He has to match my speed. This activity is easily observable.

No hiding allowed here. Speed cameras are to act as a deterrent. They must be visible.

We just don't do that shit much here.

In what way? Do I get a warning I have to press a button to override? Why can't I just ignore the stupid thing and override it all the time, making the car precisely like it was before? Or do they count how many times I ignore the limit? I'm allowed perhaps 3 a week?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Professional drivers will do that though it isn't required or recommended on synchromesh transmissions. 80s vintage buses would have been synchro on all gears by then.

Yep, that's a preselect. A lot of the buses I worked on had them.

You wouldn't have noticed it unless you knew what it was.

Reply to
Xeno

Current style CVTs have been around since 1976, IIRC. Belt drive CVTs much longer.

Reply to
Xeno

List some UK available cars with it, as I've never known one, apart from a DAF my father owned about 45 years ago which he said had a "belt drive" which was forever wearing out.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Probably worn out - they used the old f***ed buses for the school runs as the kids vandalised them.

When the bus company was bought over, new drivers did not double declutch, and there were a lot of nasty crunching noises and f***ed gearboxes as a result.

So the actual change is done behind the scenes with hydraulics?

I was quite interested in mechanical things and always watched and talked to the driver. The buses we had had controls just like a car. Clutch, brake, accelerator, handbrake, gearlever. There was also something which he called a retarder (a small pedal), which was something to do with blocking the exhaust to slow down the engine without using the brakes on a long downhill, presumably because you can't use high revs on a big diesel engine like you can to engine brake in a car. He said it was also handy to slow down if he thought a cop might see him speeding, as long as the cop didn't notice the cloud of grey smoke when he let it go.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey