Can not beat their prices

I hate to say this but....

I have been ordering quite a bit of items from China.

I do not mind waiting 2-3 weeks to get it because I can often get it for

1/3 the price of a u.s. seller.

Which makes wonder about the price difference.

I know it cost money for a us warehouse, and shipping costs.

And I have very rarely been disappointed in the quality.

Andy

Reply to
A K

I've been buying all my eyeglasses from Zenni Optical. The have a US agent but glasses are made in China. Similar glasses made here would cost 5 times as much. The eyeglass people are screwing us in the US. You know, I'm not a commie. The money I save goes to American brewers. Better them than the eyeglass people here.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Might also mention that last glasses I bought in the US had a label on the case that said "Made in China".

Reply to
invalid unparseable
3 wrisrwatches, all seperate amz orders. All look nice, one is doa. They were 5 bucks or less. R
Reply to
Thomas

You can't beat their prices because they are allowed to beat their workers.

Reply to
gfretwell

... the beating will continue until the morale improves

Reply to
Oren

You are full of it. A lot of money I save goes to buying American.

Except American cars. Foreign cars for the most part last a long time.

Reply to
A K

Many things are made in China, then sold by US companies. They buy from China for almost nothing and mark it up big time.

Often on ebay and maybe other places you can order direct from China. China has some very inexpensive postage that when it gets to the US, the USPS looses money by delivering it . Did I mention no sales tax either.

US glasses are a big ripoff. How do you justify over $ 100 for simple plastic frames ? Get slightly fancy and it can be $ 200 to $ 300.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Leading economists (and some alt.home.repair experts) claim that running up a trade deficit is good for the US.  So grab your credit card and head on down to your local ChinaMartBigBoxSuperStore.  Leave your spawn a legacy you can be proud of.

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

That is exactly right. The Zenni Optical frames I like are memory titanium costing about $25.

Maybe some of the cost drivers in the US are insurance paying for many. My wife had cataract surgery and Medicare paid, I believe, 40% of the cost for a new pair of glasses. Even then her out of pocket was nearly $500. That is outrageous.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had cataract surgery 4-5 years ago and Medicare paid 100% for the glasses. As I recall my choice of frames was limited to 2 or 3.

Reply to
Vic Smith

That was about the time my wife had hers. Maybe there was a max because glasses were expensive buying them at the eye doctor's business center. She bought a 2nd pair elsewhere but I seem to recall that they were maybe $350.

I don't think I've spent a total of $350 over the last 10 years or so for the numerous pairs of glasses I have bought at Zenni.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That isnt the case here and we have just as stupid prices and I use Zenni myself so I don’t pay their stupid prices.

That’s not accurate with the fancy lenses.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thanks for the 60 minutes story. I am glad that Walmart is a competitor of Luxxotica.

I buy my glasses there. Even the cheaper frames are well made.

When I get a new presription, I just order the lenses and they install the new lenses in my old frames.

I think Walmart caught on to it, as they now charge a $10 fee if you do not buy frames.

Andy

Reply to
A K

Molly Brown

That's easy to measure yourself and they tell you how to do that.

Even easier, take a self with a ruler above your eyebrows.

The length of the arms on the glasses isnt quite so easy but if you have existing glasses its usually stamped on them. And not hard to adjust when you get them too.

Not being critical, just

The main thing that the online systems don't do as well is where the focus changes vertically with multifocals and it gets expensive to do trial and error.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But they are not required to give you the pupil distance needed to properly make a pair of glasses. Not knowing that, the prescription is useless.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I got mine from the eye doctor but you could do it yourself or have someone else help you. Several web sites will show you how.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But its trivial to measure that yourself.

Reply to
billj

Perhaps, but Four Eyes said they have to give you the prescription. That is only a portion of what you need.

It may be trivial to measure, but if you are off a couple of mm, you classes are not going to be very comfortable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski