Dexron VI ATF and Power Steering Fluid

Recently a visitor was low on power steering fluid which said on the cap "power steering fluid" and all I had on hand was "Dexron VI" (which is my Dexron IV replacement for my car) so I sent them on their way still low.

What's the difference between Dexron ATF & Power Steering Fluid anyway?

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John

Marilyn Manson

Older cars usually specify ATF in in the P/S reservoir.

Many newer cars specific much more specific fluids, and aren't as forgiving. I don't think they'll destroy their P/S system, but it's probably not good practice to use ATF in newer vehicles P/S systems.

Reply to
Michael Trew

My reading of it says the same thing.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Probably less than 50% of the fluid is in the reservoir and odds are that the issue was noticed (heard) before the reservoir was even near empty, so what are we looking at? 25% ATF, maybe?

Top it off so as not to burn out the pump and change it as soon as possible. A 3X Siphon and Fill would probably get it all out. Siphon out the reservoir, fill it up with new PS fluid, drive a few miles, repeat 2 more times.

A 3X Drain and Fill is easy DIY way to change the ATF fluid.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have an '89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that really needs the P/S line replaced. If I don't do that before it runs out again (at least once per week), I will move on to using up old ATF bottles. I have a unopened bottle of Dexron 2 here (with a Hill's price sticker) with that car's name on it.

I would not think of doing the same in a late model vehicle.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Power steering fluid is hydraulic fluid, ATF is automatic transmission fluid. If you put power steering fluid in a power steering system that takes ATF, it won't hurt anything. They are interchangeable, because they are hydraulic fluids.

Generally, no issues should be experienced. Ninety five percent of the time, ATF actually IS power steering fluid. There are some makes, usually exotics, that require a very specifically designated fluid for power steering.

So, unless you have a car that does specifically forbid the use of ATF, you should be fine. HOWEVER, these days, there are many, many different ATFs available. In the "Old days", there was maybe four. Dexron, Type A, and Type F (forgot the other one) They were car-make specific in some cases like Dexron use to be for Chrysler products and Type F was for Ford (if I remember correctly) Type A (again memory) was something to do with seals in certain cars. But I was an Auto Parts guy 46 years ago for about 5 years . So memory might be playing tricks on me by now.

Gronk

Maybe you should be sharing this with the OP directly, not by going through my response to him.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I see your logic but a new hose is cheaper than a new PS pump.

Reply to
AMuzi

True, it needs to be done ASAP. The trouble is, with two jobs, when time allows. I don't let it run low; if it starts to chatter, fill it up.

Reply to
Michael Trew

If it starts to chatter you are already doing damage to the pump. You are allowing aeration which can lead to gaseous cavitation. You want to avoid that. Check the level and top up more frequently and don't rely on your ears to tell you the oil level is low, that's what dipsticks are for.

Reply to
Xeno