power steering dextron can't find

My older car says to use dextron 3 but I can't find it. Can I use regular power steering fluid instead?

Reply to
Sail Fisherman

Dean Hoffman

Any auto parts store should have a bargain-basement ATF that meets only the Dexron III spec. You could use a higher end one that meets Dexron IV also, if you want.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

  1. it's Dexron, not dextron

  1. Try nearest Advance Auto Parts

invalid unparseable

Valvoline makes Dex/Merc which is Dexron III (also Mercon which is virtually the same). Other companies such as Castrol do as well. Even Wal-Mart sells it under their "Super Tech" brand. Although no longer licenced by GM that formulation is still made.

Dexron VI is claimed to be backward-compatible that is for automatic transmissions only, not power steering or other older hydraulic systems that used Dexron II or III.

Reply to
Roger Blake