Bosch dishwasher troubles

I posted about this not long ago, machine not cleaning dishes well, soap not disolving but releasing

well had a official bosch tech here today, he noted the top arm isnt rotating and decided its a bad pump, a 350 buck problem.

nice tech. appeared very knowledgable

Right after he left I got wondering if the top arm was still somehow clogged, so I took the top basket wth arm outside and put the garden hose to it.

Geez it wouldnt spin even with a garden hose driving it.

I ran a wire thru the arm holes, and did get it to move a tiny bit powered by the garden hose.

I am wondering before putting this machine to the curb wether I should try buying a new arm?

what could go wrong with a arm preventing water from spinning it even though it spins free by hand?

Reply to
hallerb

Maybe water temperature is causing the plastic to expand and bind? Have you tried running it in Delicate/Economy Wash mode?

RicodJour

good idea i will dump a bucket of cold water in and see if it turns......

geez what a wierd problem, i wonder if the arm and tube it attaches too are somehow worh?

Reply to
hallerb

odd thinking about this taking the upper basket with spray arm attached outdoors and using garden hose to apply water arm wouldnt turn. I think that elminates the pump as the cause. Pump might be bad anyway but garden hose should make it spin.

so temp isnt it.

i ordered a arm, near as i can tell no one here stocks them.

next dishwasher will NOT be a bosch!

Reply to
hallerb

How old is the machine?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

perhaps 3 years, and its the 3rd time its broke.worse few companies service bosch and they charge more. my local guy wouldnt touch them. consumer reports rated them mopst likely to break.

parts are very pricey too

found a nub piece of plastic inside the spray arm, the same color as the arm. heard it rattling around inside, managed to get it out. but didnt help my problem.

when this is over i will cut the arm apart out of curosity.

Reply to
hallerb

It doesn't sound like you did your investigation on reliability and repair cost before buying the machine. Appliance extended warranty prices have plummeted, and if there is any question, off brand or anything, I get the full coverage. I bought a Bosch washing machine and the extra four years of warranty cost me about $200 at Lowe's. I've never had a service call cost less than $150, so it's a no- brainer.

...you find a piece rattling around inside an operating part and you don't think that _might_ have something to do with your problem? My comment about the water temperature was assuming that you removed the rotating head, but if you removed the entire arm, then water temperature is probably not it. That little nub may have directed the water against the turbine vanes or whatever it is they use to rotate the arm, or broken off from somewhere deeper inside the machine and been blown into the arm. If the 50+ psi from your garden hose can't spin the arm, then the problem is probably not the pump. Sounds to me like you just need a new arm.

RicodJour

i paid about 250 bucks for my bosch, it was a close out at sears.

i ordered a arm, and will be very curious if it fixes the machine.

if thats it i will try and talk directly to the tech, my info may be of use to him on his next job. imagine paying 350 bucks for a new pump then finding out just the spray arm was somehow bad:(

I repair office machines and HATE when that happens:(:(

Reply to
hallerb

Well, you can't argue the price, and I doubt they'd have given you an extended warranty on the closeout anyway, so feel free to disregard that part of my post - at least until the time when you decide to get a new machine. ;)

I'll bet you a Krispy Kreme it does.

If it does turn out to be the arm, I'd ask him why he was recommending surgery when his diagnosis was bad. Did he by any chance put a gauge or meter on the pump?

You have problems with spray arms in office machines...? What sort of offices do you work in?! ;)

RicodJour

So he didnt' replace the pump?

So it's not the pump, and unless your garden hose is connected to hot water, it's not the temp.

Elsewhere you said your arm spins well when you use your finger to spin it. I think your current arm is clogged, not just at the holes. I'd let it soak in the laundry tub for a day, then I'd hold the garden hose to each output hole to try to backflush it. Then hold it to the input to try to forward flush it, which ought to work since it's been soaking for a day. See what comes out. Then try to make it spin with the garden hose.

Unless it's filled with something that doesn't dissolve, like maybe a spiders nest. Or paint**.

Maybe a wire in the center hole working it's way to the end. A screen door spring is flexible and sort of strong at the same time.

**I had a paint in the handle roller that I liked so much I bought a second one, one for flat and one for ceiling iirc. (or maybe it was outside and inside) and I was painting like crazy, and storing everything in the fridge overnight, so I didn't have to clean. Latex paint. That worked fine until one day I didn't paint, and that turned into 2 days and 2 years. So finally I took them out of the fridge and one came clean pretty easily, maybe 2 or 3 times as much work as I would have had to do every night if I cleaned every night. But the other one was very hard to clean. I took oout the nylon plug from the end, and reamed it with a thin screwdriver, and that worked fine until the bend. Filled the other end full of latex paint remover, let it soak for a month, used the screen door spring to ream it out every couple days, until the spring was going in 6, 7, 8 inches. Finally there was only one or two inches that were clogged. Let it sit for two months with latex paint remover, reamed it for a couple minutes every week. Finally got the whole thing clean. Now I have to finish painting. Would have only been 20 dollars to buy a new one, and no installation time.

I like the paint in the handle touch up pads also. One was easy to clean and one took an hour, while I watched tv.

Reply to
mm

Well you helped solve the mystery:)

The little plastic nub set in and broke off the center of the arm retainer, it directs water into the vanes that drive the spray arm/

for stupidity reasons i thought water spraying out of the arms somehow drove the arm:(

When you mentioned vanes I took another look and saw where that nub used to live.

So arm ordered express, by monday or tuesday I will be all set and can quit washing dishes:)

I called the service company and requested a call back from the tech telling them before I proceed with repairs:)

no use making him look bad, if they ask him he can say I decided against repairs:)

nice guy doing tough job.

And I added some new troubleshooting skills:)

no he didnt gauge the pump.....

oh I generally check consumer reports before buying stuff.

In this case I was attracted to the cheap price, and the fact bosch dishwashers have actual sides.

My old dishwasher was a portable I built in as a end of run of the cabinets.

The tech tells me you can order sides or most dishwashers, I never knew they were available.

My wife wants a kitchen rebuild for the last few years, tear out a load bearing wall full of bathroom plumbing,,,,,, you get the picture. lose formal dining room.

heck she wants to turn our 50s home into a open floor plan by moving the steps in the center of the house:(

because she has plans but no bucks repairs in this area are on the cheap make do ones.....

wierdly she has little interest in cooking prefering to eat out:(

I suggested we bulldoze the house and start over it would be cheaper:)

I got a estimate of at least 20 grand for her dream kitchen plans based mostly on structural and replumbing. fancy cabinets no doubt extra.

Reply to
hallerb

Excellent! I like the chocolate-iced custard-filled Krispy Kremes.

RicodJour

me too!

Reply to
hallerb

== When my Bosch wasn't washing well on the top rack, I discovered the plastic arm that transports the water to the top spray arm was cracked all along one side. You'd think they could use better plastic, eh? ==

Reply to
Gini

all parts built by lowest bidder:(

seriously with as pricey as they are bosch should go for quality materials

Reply to
hallerb

We don't need no stinkin' gauges.

Reply to
mm

wrote "Gini" wrote: ...................................................

== Yeah, and I think the replacement part was about $30.00.

Reply to
Gini

It was probably a return. Consumer Reports does not say Bosch is too bad. Asko is much worse.

You probably got someone elses lemon. I bought a front loader Whirlpool that was top rated. Everything was wrong with it including bad welding of the base so it vibrated horribly. Sears replaced it. Repairman said he would replace pump and re-weld the cabinet but I feel sorry for the poor sucker that bought it. The replacement has been perfect. My guess is the original was dropped big time.

Reply to
Art

Actually the low end Bosch which is just as quiet as the expensive model is about $600 the last time I looked. Pretty cheap for a ultra quiet dishwasher.

Art

the fellow who was my best man at my wedding handled return merchandise at that sears store. he reported the dishwasher perfect. it was going to a luxury home and the buyer returned not only the dishwasher but all the appliances when going from black to stainless, they wanted all the same manufacturer too.

the dishwasher had been installed, so the price was really cheap.

the builder has some sort of bulk buying deal with sears and ate much of the $ reduction.

I guess its just overhaed to a builder with million buck customers. Heck they had 3 dishwashers all matching, 2 fancy side by side fridges, a big hugger 6 burner pro stove, 2 built in ovens, and some other stuff all installed and replaced to make the million buck customer happy.

someone took a BIT hit on all that.

my buddy the merchandise return clerk said this occured on a regular basis.

the builders group was buyiong half a million dollars a year in appliances with a exclusive deal.

Reply to
hallerb