Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

And aren't they constantly rebuilding them?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

I'm not aware of any place where they "seal coat" either roads or parking lots - the closest thing that comes to "sealing" is when they apply a TOP COAT of gravel and asphalt to a gravel road (and there are not too many of those left around specifically because of the high cost of this type of maintenance).

Reply to
spamfree

The two issues that cause road problems in colder climates: utility cuts and patches; frost heaves. Sealing a roadway will do nothing to help with frost heaves that raise sections several inches. The do seal the cracks resulting from the frost heaves on some roads but this is done with a tar based "crack filler" applied just to the cracks, not as a surface treatment.

I've seen entire parking lots sealed but it's done for cosmetic reasons, the same as most driveways.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cosmetic'. Doesn't cosmetic mean there are minor defects?...which will accelerate into major defects?...unless repaired when they are minor.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

Reply to
spamfree

When speak Main Entry: 1cos·met·ic Pronunciation: käz-'me-tik Function: adjective Etymology: Greek kosmEtikos skilled in adornment, from kosmein to arrange, adorn, from kosmos order Date: 1650

1 : of, relating to, or making for beauty especially of the complexion : BEAUTIFYING 2 : done or made for the sake of appearance: as a : correcting defects especially of the face b : DECORATIVE, ORNAMENTAL c : not substantive : SUPERFICIAL 3 : visually appealing

- cos·met·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb Sealing will not correct any defects, minor or major and will not delay the need for repairs - if there are any defects they will have to be repaired, regardless of any sealing that has been applied. In fact once a program of periodic sealing has been established it will be necessary to continue it for precisely the cosmetic purposes it was applied - the sealer will slough off and leave the "sealed" surface looking worse than it would have had it not been sealed in the first place!

Reply to
spamfree

What part of NC? Never saw a parking lot get sealed in the 12 years I've been living in NC (Triangle).

Reply to
lostfloridian

It's a common sight here in Indianapolis. I just encountered one yesterday morning.

Doug Miller

So how come those of use in the freeze thaw states don't see every parking lot out there being sealed. The only time I see it is when they are looking to dress up the appearance or move the parking space alignment. Otherwise it doesn't happen. Must be a big secret that it's so effective - they don't even share it with businesses who could buy the service.

There are parking lots that have crack sealer applied to the major cracks, just like the roads. No surface sealers.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..

but seriously..it IS a common practice here..

Reply to
CBHvac

Central NC..bit west of you. Hell..when I was in Raliegh, several of the lots there were sealed...one or two on Capital come to mind right off, and thats cause when I was there for a training class, when we broke for lunch, I was able to slide the van around like it had casters on it in the rain..

Reply to
CBHvac

Many do. It's a choice the owner of the lot can make.

Maybe it's a cost they are not willing to pay at the time.. A phrase comes to mind. "You can pay me now, or pay me later"

If they were smart they would use crack sealer along with seal-cote.

Reply to
tnom

Sorry, not buying it. If they could demonstrate a cost effective benefit, you'd see them selling a lot more services. I can drive all over New England and find nary a sealed lot.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Why doesn't the world use EVERY product that's made?! Duh!!! lol

I guess I don't understand yer reasoning.

Minor maintenance needed? :)

Why? Because it was originally done incorrectly?...and they waited a few years to correct it? lol

Sure they do. And those companies that don't buy it...well, they just simply decided not to BUY it! lol

That's probably true. So what?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

That doesn't say much for your skills of observation. I live in Connecticut and it's a very widespread and common practice. Most of the guys who do private driveways do it as a side business, using leftovers from commercial jobs.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillThesailor

And do they also sell bridges they have on hand in Brooklyn? The left over from commercial jobs is the oldest line in the scam artists work book - it is the anthem of the "Irish Travelers" as they wend their way across the northern US every spring through summer!

Reply to
nospam

Here in MN, parking lots are done all the time. I've even seen roads done -- in fact, there's a county road with signs labeled "Seal Coat Test #12345(whatever)" very near where I live.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I think my driveway is proof enough. 17 years and counting. I've have neighbors who have the same age or newer driveways and they did nothing to them. They have or are now getting new driveways. It looks like I may get another 10 years or so out of mine.

Reply to
tnom

There's also a section of interstate between St Paul and St Cloud that has this done. It's also listed as a Test Road.

NOI

Reply to
thund3rstruck_n0i