Better than Moen?

Around 5 years ago I had my kitchen remodeled. I had a Moen single lever faucet with a pull-out spigot/sprayer installed. Within a couple of years the chrome on the plate that mounts on the sink started to flake off. Now it's leaking when I turn it on. The water comes up through the swiveling part and runs all over the sink and also drips in the compartment below.

Rather than getting it repaired, I'd like another, better brand. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
Charlie Dilks

You should try WoMoen. According to my gf, they are better then Moen at almost everything!

;-)

Reply to
Bruno The Magnificent

Charlie Dilks wrote in news:cdilks- snipped-for-privacy@news.fu-berlin.de:

Well, like Moen's slogan says, you buy it for life. From what you have explained, your faucet is under replacement warranty. Go to:

for the details.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Moen mailed me two cartriges when I emailed that one had developed a leak after 20 years of iron-laden water, I guess on the theory that the hot water faucet was likely to go soon too. They expect them to leak eventually and simply replace them for you if you're still around, and ask.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Good luck! We now live in a world where things are designed to outlive their warranties by just a short time. After all, if I make a faucet that will last 50 years, you won't need to buy another one of my faucets for another 50 years. If I design them to last 5, I should have 10 times the sales. Seems to me that most North American business have bought into that concept.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

I know what you mean. After only four years of marriage I had to replace my wife. She just wore out !!!

Reply to
someone

Thanks to all for your help. As I said, the Meon has flaked off chrome and looks ugly. I don't want it repaired.

Reply to
Charlie Dilks

Joe, Thanks a lot. I'll check out Delta and Kohler.

Reply to
Charlie Dilks

This concept is not new.

Back in the 1950s a series of books appeard by Vance Packard, including one called _The Waste Makers_ (another I recall was _The Status Seekers_), dealing with "planned obsolescence": deliberately designing things so they don't last long. One example I recall from the book was of a company making potato peelers: how could they increase their sales? After all, potato peelers usually don't wear out. So why do people buy new potato peelers anyway? Typically because they threw the old one out with the peelings. So the marketing gurus said, "If we could make a potato peeler that looks like potato peelings, a lot more would get thrown out and we would sell a lot more to replace them." Somebody objected, not unreasonably, "But who is going to buy a potato peeler that looks like potato peelings?" So they designed a potato peeler of such a color that it was difficult to distinguish from the peelings, but they used brightly colored packaging to make it look attractive in the store.

-=- Alan

On 11/02/03 12:38 pm Carolyn Marenger put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Alan Beagley

I have a Grohe that I love. They're a bit pricy, however.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I'm not sure about Moen, but PriceF covers any and all parts. That includes finish issues or internal issues. You might want to all Moen first and see if they'll send you new one for free.

Reply to
Jimmy

Not Moen... Had trouble with them horiring the warranty. My Warrantly said free from drips and leaks. When the rubber membrane in the spigot started to leak they said thats not covered. They told me to read my warranty. I did again and it said drips and leaks. After 3 people I reached someone with half a brain that agreed that water coming out of anywhere was a leak and sent me the new spigot. Its seems they only intened to guarantee the cartridge. If you check their newer warranties it says leaks from the cartridge.

On the other hand Price Fister was great. When the pop up tarnished they sent me another. When the faucet tarnised they sent me a whole new faucet. Note: the price fister never even leaked anywhere

Reply to
Ron

I like PF because they replace anything... but you will be replacing something with their units. Their finishes don't seem too good.

Reply to
Jimmy