Whole-house filters?

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures. The last time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded within a year. Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

-K

Reply to
Me

... Filters don't fix hard water problems. Water softeners do. You need a water softener.

Reply to
M Q

Your not looking for a whole house filter but a water softner....

Hmmm, that's either cheap fixture/parts or a serious water issue......

Good luck finding anything that is "no maintenance" that actually works. First place to start is to get your water tested......

Reply to
Jackson

Agreed. A filter is nice though and I have both filter and softener on my private well. I put the filter after the pressure tank but before the softnener. Doing this allows me to have a spigot that is unsoftened for gardening and such. This would be a good idea for any install.

Reply to
Lawrence

ditto the water softner.

The corrosion on the chrome was caused by the cleaner you were using, not the water. When you use the cleaners, rinse with clear water and wipe and your chrome and other surfaces will stay new for years.

Reply to
ValveJob

Check out the Ionics system.

Reply to
Dave

Hardness scale also ruins chromed fixtures.

I suggest a correctly sized softener using the Clack WS-1 control valve.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser