Whole House Water Filters

After changing another disintegrated flapper on my toilet, I wonder if it is time to get a whole house water filter. We're on city water, but I have to clean the aerators on the facets and the flappers on the toilets from time to time. It also seems abundantly clear to me that there is a racket going on in the water filter business.

Can someone recommend a good brand or model of whole house water filter? My home has copper plumbing, and I would definitely have it professionally installed. Does Lowes or Home Depot sell quality filters?

Reply to
mcp6453

I have recently done some research on this at Lowes & HD. They sell whole house filters that seem to just remove sediment. Not sure if sediment is your issue or the chlorine in the water. I just installed a whirpool undersink filter that removed sediment, microbes and the clorine smell. It installs to just the cold water line and seems to be working well. It was under $40 and the filters last 6 months and go for After changing another disintegrated flapper on my toilet, I wonder if

Reply to
Handyman For Hire

In each of two houses I have had water softeners. Our water is very heavy with calcium and does plenty of damage to appliances, etc. I have an RO system under the sink an to the ice maker. Your ice cubes can tell a little visually...cloudy vs clear...

The systems I've used over twelve years in the desert.

-- Oren

Oren

I have Insta-Pur but don't see them around any more. I use whatever cartridges I can easily find for sediment. They all seem about the same in quality. A sediment filter will get rid of most of your problems. I have city water and was changing the faucet seals every six months. Now they last 10 years or more.

They are not very difficult to install if you are a little handy and own a couple of wrenches. Takes about 15 minutes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski