Better electrical connection

I mainly work with 10 - 22 gauge wire.

I have been using the blade type connectors, but they are a bit klunky to attach.

Is there anything better that I can solder my wires to?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

gfretwell

A K snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Soldering house wiring has real downsides.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'm trying to think of an application where I would solder #10 wire. Certainly I've never done it.

We did a generator install at work where the ground wires had to be thermit welded, that was interesting.

Reply to
TimR

Never said they did. I was JUST pointing out that soldering has downsides with house wire.

Irrelevant to the comment I made.

Not with WIRES.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mostly labor. It used to be the standard until they came up with easier/faster methods.

Wire leads inserted into boards are wave soldered.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why do you waste your time arguing with the troll? I must admit, I've made the same mistake, but if we all stopped replying to his trolls, maybe he'd disappear like that other AH Burpfart?

Reply to
trader_4

Nope, the downside with house wiring is that the wire will survive short term overload well when not soldered but you can get the solder softening in that situation.

That's bullshit too.

But they arent the 10 - 22 gauge wire being discussed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If that splice gets above 600f you have far worse problems than soft solder. They made a solid mechanical splice before it was soldered.

You are simply unaware of the fact that electricians carried solder pots and dipped every splice. Maybe they just didn't have electricity in Australia before WWII when this was a common practice.

Never looked inside a PC power supply I guess.

Reply to
gfretwell

OTOH your bullshit could penetrate Kevlar.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not if it only does that for a short time.

Irrelevant to what the OP may do.

That was never as absolute as that, particularly with the street cabling.

Corse we did and it was never common practice with the street cabling.

Guess again. That isnt wave soldered.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

18-22 gauge wire is common in electronic projects. I am currently making a laser alarm. This is the laser part.

"

"

Reply to
A K

There are other competitive connector systems but it is usually best to pick one and use it for most of your projects because you will end up with a collection of common connectors and tools. Crimps really do seem superior with these types of connections but you need a real crimper.

Reply to
gfretwell

Having the proper crimper is the main thing. Using stranded wire is the other. Where the wire may be under viberation stress crimping is usually better because soldering will turn the stranded wire into a solid wire near the conector where it will often break.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Soldering terminals to flexible cable is pretty much frowned upon these days. Certainly not acceptable in avionics or instrumentation.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That is why they wave solder wires to boards. The wire is not in the solder long enough to wick up.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a real crimper but the connectors do not compare to soldering.

Just today I had a wire pull out of a connection that used a blade connector.

Andy

Reply to
A K

Something was not right. You either did not have the right terminal for the wire size or it was not properly crimped. (Tool or procedure). Normally a properly made crimp will hold until the wire breaks.

Reply to
gfretwell