Battery Drain Mystery

The REAL power switch can start a normally configured machine. To start an ATX computer without the soft power switch you need to enable the"restart on power failure" OPTION in the bios - which is NOT part od the ATX standard, but an OPTION, which not all computers have or support..

Reply to
clare

Chuckle. I had to figure out how to DISable that on several of my machines. Elsewise, if the power blipped in the middle of the night or when I was out of the house, I'd walk in the back room and find all of them running, when I knew I had told them to shut down. Very disconcerting until I figured it out. The power has momentary dropouts a lot around here in thunderstorm season- I've REALLY got to figure out how to get those UPS boxes apart so I can go buy new batteries for them.

Reply to
aemeijers

Well, that isn't a problem, since we are talking about being able to turn a computer completely off, not turning it on.

Reply to
salty

Well, if we can define it any way we want, then it's an anti-gravity margarita mixer switch.

Otherwise, it's a power switch

Reply to
salty

A distinction without a difference.

Reply to
krw

It switches power? you use it to turn someting on and off? In the case of an ATX computer, it is an solid state switch within the power supply, controlled by the motherboard with a momentary switch on thecase for the user interface. Cutoff switches which may or may not exist are frankly irrelevent.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I see you're back to your denser than stone mode.

Reply to
krw

I see you've lost the argument are simply being a complete shit.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Would it boot up if turned off, or when it was in sleep mode? Must be in sleep mode or you would need another computer inside your computer to wake it up with!

I leave mine on sleep most of the time, power consumption is darn near zero. I disable the "Wake up on... ring, PME, KBC, Mouse, or alarm. Only wakeup is "any key". I love disabling the wakeup on mouse so every time I bump the desk too hard the mouse doesn't accidentally wake it up. I just hit any key to wake it up. (although it took me weeks to find the "any key".)

Reply to
Tony

Nah, loser, you beat me to that by a mile.

Reply to
krw