I have in my home a Microsoft wireless keyboard which uses 3 AA batteries. It transmits to a nearby receiver which is connected to a USB port on the computer. When the keyboard was new, the batteries would last for 7 or 8 months. For some strange reason, I'm now changing them monthly.
Recently, I was away for a week and the system was completely shut down. When I returned and booted up, the keyboard was lifeless. I tested the batteries, and they tested completely and totally drained on my meter. That's unusual, because they usually test just weak when I replace them. So, while I was gone and the system was off, something drained the batteries completely.
At first, I assumed it was the keyboard, so I replaced it with another one of the same model, an older one that I still had on hand. Same result, one month. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks.