Backup Generators 101?

Pete C. wrote: ...

They _do_ apply...

Or, another way to look at it...you would recommend spending $10K or so on a fixed/autostart genset and then try to save a few nickels using whatever you can find as fuel...

--

Reply to
dpb

The following was taken from one generator dealer regarding using fuel oil for a diesel generator. If you check for yourself, you'll find it's used commonly :

The generator set can be safely fueled with either non-explosive No. 2 diesel fuel or No. 2 home heating oil. This is an heavy duty, industrial quality, direct drive, diesel-powered, electric generator, designed for reliable continuous use for household or business. The unit provides both

120 volt and 240 volt / 60 cycle simultaneous outputs, either direct wired or through electrical outlets furnished, electric key start, and automatic shutdown protection for low oil pressure or high water temperature.

K-1 Kerosene and #2 home heating oil are exactly the same as #1 and #2 Diesel. The only difference is that red dyes are added for identification to kerosene and home heating oil for highway tax purposes. It's also about

20-50¢ per gallon cheaper, because there are no road taxes paid on it. Just don't get caught on the road with it in your diesel car or truck or you'll pay some hefty fines. Your local fuel oil dealer can deliver the fuel direct to your house, and you can use a larger 275 or 500 gallon home heating oil tank for fuel storage. (12 cents / kW / Hr fuel cost at $1.23 / gal Off Road Diesel) Or with a conversion kit, you can generate FREE Electricity! with your diesel generator using used cooking oil from restaurants for fuel! Order today and save money forever on high electricity bills!
Reply to
RBM

Yes, because despite all the babble to the contrary, #2 fuel oil is #2 fuel oil regardless of any added dye or taxes.

Reply to
Pete C.

The whole point is to ask the vendor of the genset you're going to buy. If it's of new manufacture it will have already been adapted to handle the ULSD.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have my generator remoted some 80' from the house, no noise issues.

Reply to
Pete C.

Right, #2 fuel oil is #2 fuel oil but it isn't diesel by any current practice.

Reply to
George

Wouldn't work with this home depot unit. It is one of the loudest pieces of equipment I have ever heard. The interesting thing is that I visit a site that has a similar capacity identical looking unit only it is a real generac not their cheepo big box version. You can barely hear it operate.

Reply to
George

ACTUALLY, they are the same.

S. Barker

You might investigate what the differences are. Would be interesting to know where the critical noise sources, or noise barriers are. Also possible that the loud version actually is broken.

Reply to
Pete C.

ACTUALLY, no. Neglecting SAE recommendations for blending in #1 for low temperatures there are three discrete #2 weight products available that are totally different. #2 heating oil, NRLM and ULSD. You can verify this by calling your local liquid fuels terminal and asking. You can also talk with with my buddy who just spent a lot of money buying dedicated tank trucks just to handle the ULSD.

Reply to
George

Non scientific but we are confident the home depot version is just noisy by (cheap) design. My buddy who bought the one I described called the local generac service outfit and they said the home depot versions are much louder and that they use a totally different engine. Also my buddies brother in law works for the local propane company. He confirmed having piped the gas supply lots of gensets over time that the home depot versions are much louder than others.

Reply to
George
[snip]

That returns the message "Our site has been updated and the page is no longer available.".

Reply to
Sam E

Yeah, that happens a lot when you expect a 2 yr old link to work for you. There is a chance that the root address is still the same and you can get there with a few clicks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Read the following words aloud, quickly:

EYE HAM SOFA KING WE TODD ED

Reply to
mkirsch1

Perhaps the gentleman has a long attention span?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas