anyone know how to find out who reported my house to a neighborhood services department for city of phx?

neighborhood preservation division

by whom. Anyone know how to find out

Call your city code enforcement department. My city allows anonymous complaints, although they have a rather convoluted policy as to whether anonymous complaints become part of the permanent record.

Reply to
Norminn

neighborhood preservation division

by whom. Anyone know how to find out

What would you do with that information? Who cares who filed the complaint. Fix the problem. They ared doing you and your neighbors a favor.

Reply to
ephedralover

bb gun.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Reply to
ephedralover
1 From: - view profile Date: Fri, Apr 8 2005 11:03 am Email: Groups: alt.home.repair Not yet rated Rating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

WE/My roomate got a notice about building without a permit. We haven't been building anything, So we ignored the notice. Then, BAM! We Must tear down the Carport cover which is made with steal beams 14ft tall and 40ft long. It came with the house when she bought the house. It turns out that it is no where near code and was not permitted therefore we have to remove it..

SAY WHAT??? That's Crap. It's already there when the house was sold. If there is a problem shouldn't the city have dealt with that when previous owners c> >I recently got a violation from the city's neighborhood services deptmnt.

Reply to
ephedralover

Contact a property lawyer, perhaps he or she will advise you to take it up with the town. There may be disclosure laws in your area which will give you recourse to pursue the sellers. Again - property lawyer.

But - still, my question is - what possible good or value is there in knowing who "turned you in"? Know that I know the violation, I think there's a pretty good chance someone in the building department noticed it while driving by. Are you going after him about that??

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I hope I never live in a neighborhood where my neighbors feel that they have to whine to the authorities before coming to talk to me about something they perceive as a problem.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Did you have/use a lawyer when you bought the house? Contact them first. If not, good luck.

Reply to
jtees4

It isn't the neighborhood, it is the neighbor. I've got neighbors who stoop to assault when folks don't submit. Then there is vandalism, like keying cars. Getting a police officer inclined to do paperwork is iffy where I live. On one occasion, a condo board member liked to turn on sprinklers when I was in the yard and I called the police again. I was doing some spray painting outdoors, small project, no noise or waste, sunday afternoon during time watering was prohibited. FOUR police cars showed up, one guy did most of the talking. I went back to finish what I was doing, and the sprinkler came on again before the cops had left. I walked back out to the officer I had originally spoken with. He said he didn't enforce building codes, looked at his watch and said, "She's legal now.", it being a minute or two into LEGAL watering time at that point. A female officer, sitting in her car, said, "Well, she really shouldn't be doing that."

The same person had previously assaulted me when I turned the sprinkler off one evening because I was expecting company and wanted to use the yard. Good Friday evening! It still makes my hands shake when I recount it, and haven't thought about it in a while. Condo unit owners are all well aware of her conduct.

So, it's nice to presume that a nice guy has inadvertenly let something fall into disrepair and is willing to talk about it. Lots of folks aren't that way. There was a shooting in our county a few months back that was the end result of some code issue. One can avoid contact unless you are dealing with a person who will not be avoided.

Reply to
Norminn

If it's a shared yard, why does one person have control over the sprinklers? How about unscrewing the handle and removing it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was out in the yard yesterday when a small group of young teenagers wearing gang colors came strolling down the middle of the street, causing cars to stop because they wouldn't get out of the road. All I can hope for is that Darwin will prevail, as cars regularly speed way in excess of the posted limit. This used to be a nice neighborhood, but I digress.

Would you want to go knock on *their* door to discuss the length of the grass or the trash in the front yard?

Sheee-it. I'll call the city.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

clipped

The system is on a timer - just push button to turn it on or off. Why? Because I have the neighbors from hell? :o) This person is the condo treasurer, and a bulldog to deal with for the few who want to maintain the place. I could write a book, but nobody would believe it. A few deadbeat trust-fund babies, absentee owners, a couple who would do things properly but have been worn down. A couple who are willing to lie for each other change the balance of power considerably .. big risk to confront them.

Reply to
Norminn

Oh....I get it. Church ladies and boy scout leaders. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It doesn't really matter. The object of your attention should be to discourage such rascally behavior.

So, you pick out the person who was most likely the culprit and punish him. This serves as a deterrent to others similarily inclined, plus it serves as a modest incentive to everyone else in the neighborhood to discourage such nastiness as snitching out a neighbor (it could be them that're punished instead of the actual malefactor).

This is exactly how the criminal law works.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's OK until you've been verbally assaulted a few times by neighbors that don't care to be responsible neighbors, and don't want to hear about it. After awhile you find more effective ways to deal with the problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

neighborhood preservation division

by whom. Anyone know how to find out

there should be contact information on the violation paperwork.

the way it should work is someone complains , they send out an inspector, The inspector determines if a violation has occured and writes a citation if required.

if you suspect a malicious intent , the department may act on your behalf if a series of complaints is not supported.

Reply to
marks542004

"Act on (his) behalf" how? It is out of their purview to determine intent; unfounded complaints should simply not hold up. If it's series, the complainer gets ignored.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

There is a fine line. I'm reminded of talking to an Englishman living in Geneva. Swiss called authorities when he put bag of trash in neighboring dumpster because his apartments was full. He got a vist from police. He thought the whole nation was anal ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yes

Reply to
lwasserm

Spoken like a true RAT. It is control freaks like you that are turning a free country into a police state.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Oh boo friggin' hoo.

Follow the laws and rules, or change them. Your neighbors don't owe you indulgence.

Banty

Reply to
Banty