Alarm Sensors Powered at 24v vs 12v

I hired a licensed alarm installer to hook up and program a Vista 120bpt pa nel along with 5 ea Honeywell 6460s & 1 Tuxedo keypads, 25 ea fg1625 glass breaks, a dozen Wiland wb200 waterbugs and 15 ea Tritech motions which all require 12v power. Due to the power load we added an Altronix power supply to power the keypads, glass breaks, waterbugs. and motions. Unfortunately a fter he hooked up all the equipment he failed to notice that the Altronix h as 2 power settings, 12v & 24v and powered it up at 24 v for about 10 minut es which immediately fried 2 glass breaks and one keypad. He says that bec ause the balance of the keypads are lit up and functioning, that they are ok. The functionality of the other devices has not yet been determined. My observation is that due to the overstress of the circuits, all the items po wered to 24v are prone to premature failure and should be changed out. What is the correct course of action?

Reply to
rdreule

His mistake, his obligation to replace the burned ones, but not the rest. You are assuming premature failure but really have no hard evidence. They may last 50 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

[...]

IDK, that's a tough one. Particularly troubling is that it did clearly burn out some of the sensors of a particular type, but not others, eg it fried 2 of 25 glass break detectors. If it fried all of one kind, but none of other types, I'd be far less concerned, because some components aren't affected by an over voltage like that, while other are. It's reasonable to assume that the other 23 glass break detectors were subject to the same conditions and could be damaged, fail prematurely, etc. At the very least, I'd insist on an extended warranty on the components.

I guess you could get an opinion from another alarm expert. If you can get them to say that the components can be damaged, should be replaced, etc, then at least you have an expert opinion. Nothing from here is going to carry much weight.

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

If the devices that failed, failed shorted, they may have protected the oth er ones by overloading the power supply and lowering the voltage.

But there is no way to be sure.

I agree with the other poster suggestion....

Replace the damaged ones and get an extended warantee __in writing__ on the survivors.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

[...]

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
rdreule

[...]

I will check with the manufacturer, but I am not certain they would error o n a complete change our, which may not be necessary. Thank you.

Reply to
rdreule

[...]

he survivors.

Very good advice on the written extended warranty. Thank you.

Reply to
rdreule

I was going to say that too. An extended warranty (5 years? Parts and labor Longer?) on the survivors. In writing.

Reply to
micky