Mains powered smoke alarm randomly goes off...

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this.

We have a EI 151 mains powered smoke alarm and the alarm has triggere in the middle of the night on 2 separate nights in the past month (o one night it was twice within the space of 5 minutes). The alarm onl sounds for about 2-3 seconds but still its long enough to wake you u and send you running around to find the "fire".

Please note, this is not the quieter single beep that would sound whe the battery in a battery powered alarm is running low, this is main powered and it is the full sounding smoke alarm that goes off.

If someone is aware of possible cause of this problem it would b appreciated. A final note is that the green light on the stays on s the power is obviously there, while the red light flashes at th standard intervals to show the circuit is fine.

Cheer

-- Shadow2198

Reply to
Shadow2198

[...]

not sure, but mine did something strange during a brownout.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have obviously checked for and discounted the possibility of these not actually being false alarms, eg because next door's midnight cigarette smoke has filtered through under adjoining floorboards or whatever...?

I fitted Kidde mains-powered alarms all over my house last winter and one went faulty during the installation process, some days after being fitted and having initially worked OK. Exchanged it; all OK since. If the Ei guarantee is anything like the Kidde (10 years) and yours is within it, this may be the answer.

Reply to
rrh

I had a mains powered one which di just that , checked it for dirt, insects, low backup battery etc, but still random short burst alarms always at night often around 4am !

Replaced the alarm - no more problems.

Have had to change a couple of battery powered ones over the last few years for same fault.

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look