Smoke alarm recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for wireless smoke and heat alarms which will comply with the forthcoming Scottish Government Regulations.

Regards

Reply to
newman

I have the heat/smoke and CO alarms from the Ei range (although not linked) based on previous recommendations in this group. There are options for wireless radio linking.

alan_m

I don't recall this being true, "Mains-wired alarms, however, are required to be installed by an electrician which will be an additional cost to homeowners".

I thought even mains wired ones have a best before date.

Reply to
Fredxx

So what happens then if the fire is caused by the wireless router? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm in England, but I fitted six interlinked alarms about 15 years ago. Plus a separate CO one.

The smoke/heat alarms are fitted on pattresses with a simple bayonet fitting, and a plug for power/link. They are easily changed, and I did so when they 'expired'.

The CO alarm was interesting. Although the new one was fairly different housing-wise, they had preserved exactly the same mounting centres (keyhole holes). A few seconds to change.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Fire Angel have the Wi-Safe2 range of alarms with a sealed 10 year battery (actually two, the second one for the radio module). They seem fine - I understand some electricians are a bit sniffy about them but I don't know the reasons.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Probably because they're so trivial to fit, and no wiring?

Reply to
Fredxx

They don't use a wireless router or wifi.

It's some form of peer to peer wireless between the smoke alarms.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Possibly - no need for an electrician :)

Although the sniffiness I heard was about Fire Angel in general. Digging around, it might have been this:

The WST-630 is one of the ones I have a few of - all the expiry dates are

2030 or 2031 so hopefully made after that batch? I see some people complaining the 10 year batteries don't last - unclear if it's this issue or something else.

The alarm isn't activated until twisted onto the base although I don't quite follow the logic (putting the base on opens some contacts - I could understand closing contacts to connect the battery, but not sure how the reverse works). But it's also possible that old stock is the cause of early battery death, or over active sensing (I think they will eat battery faster if they think there's something to monitor, or need to communicate more).

TBH I think it's probably still less hassle than having to hardwire, even if they only last 5 years.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have only just noticed that the newish Aico/Ei stuff (3000 series) has a built in 10 year lifespan ie it will constantly bleep after 10 years use.

Reply to
ARW

If it is wireless and battery operated then Aico 600 series

If you can physically interlink some of them them it will save you some money.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks.

I will be replacing 2 wired linked alarms with 3 smoke alarms and 1 heat alarm. All to be linked as per the legislation. No chance of rewiring the extra 2 without major upheaval, so I will go down the wireless route. I will check out the Aico products.

Regards

Reply to
newman

Just be careful mixing the use of RF stuff and hard wired interlinked when using Aico.

It's good equipment but you need to know certain things.

You have already got one link in place (the link between the existing smokes). That is good as it will save you the cost of one RF module/base.

Make sure that you do not put RF bases or modules on both of the interlinked smokes on this existing link.

It's not just money saving but an essential. You cannot stop the alarm sounding if you have two RF bases that are hard and RF connected together.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks

I think I will replace the hard-wired with wireless, to save complications. I have just visited my local CEF counter. They stock and recommend Aico.

Regards

Reply to
newman

For RF range reasons I need a smoke alarm, CO detector and heat detector wired together and sundry smoke alarms RF linked to each other and via the heat detector. All battery powered. Is this a valid arrangement for the Aico 600 range - I find it very hard to tell from the specifications?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Have I got this correct - you have a smoke, a CO detector and a heat detector that are hardwired and interlinked and want you to add extra battery powered RF smokes?

Reply to
ARW

The 600 series take an optional RF module (the difference between one advertised as RF and non-rf is the factory fitted nmodule)

This Aico CO alarm says it connects with all other Aico radio Links

alan_m

I'd prefer the wire linked ones to be battery powered too, but yes. Thanks for any advice. The heat detector is the only one of the three near enough to the RF group, if it matters.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thanks. I shall study that all again and see if it answers my question.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I do not think AICO do a battery CO that can be interlinked. They do a battery RF one.

Reply to
ARW