Smoke alarm alarm

I have a mains smoke alarm with a 9v battery backup. It started to beep: regular beeps at roughly ten second intervals for something like a minute, then a long silence before it started again.

According to the manual this is the battery-low warning, so I took off the cover, removed the battery - and then discovered that I didn't have a replacement.

I replaced the body of the unit without the battery - and it's still beeping. Not regularly this time but seemingly at random: beep... beep beep beep... beep beep. Again this is for about a minute at a time. There's nothing in the manual about this and it seems too irregular for a built-in "no battery present" warning (and if there was one, I imagine the instructions would mention it).

I don't want to turn the alarm off overnight but I think I might have to.

Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

The unit checks the voltage of the battery and bleeps when the voltage is low.

Replacing the unit to mains power without a battery will show as low voltage and as there is no reference at all to 9V has probably confused the PCB.

You need a battery.

Reply to
ARW

Oh, I accept that - I just hoped the unit would be (silently) operational overnight without one.

Many thanks for the explanation.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Could you not "borrow" one from something else?

Reply to
charles

One oddity in the manual is a stern warning that any replacement battery must be not only the right specification, which is of course correct, but also the right *make* because anything could cause damage.

Could the manufacturer have done a sneaky deal with Duracell, I wonder?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Make and model

Reply to
ARW

It seems to be by Ei Electronics of Shannon in Ireland, though the manual also gives contact details for Aico Ltd in Oswestry.

The model is Ei141RC.

The (strongly) recommended battery a Duracell MN1604 Energizer 9 V.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That could be code for 'don't use a zinc carbon from Poundland'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

They are called Ei because they are made in the Emerald Isles

Reply to
ARW

But an 9V alkaline from Poundland would be a good equivalent to the manufacturer's preference.

Reply to
Fredxx

So what is stopping you getting the right battery and putting it in? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Can you not raid one from something else. I'm assuming a pp3 is the battery. Lots of el chepo radios use those still. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yesterday, the fact that I didn't have one. Today, only my reluctance to go into a shop, however briefly.

I have however ordered one as part of my grocery shopping and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You don't think Duracell are up to much? Why is that?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I had the spare for my Fluke 19 split before I got to use it.

Reply to
Fred

That is poor, but is it common?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I didn't actually say that, did I?

Why don't you think Kodak and Polaroid 9V alkaline batteries are up to much?

Reply to
Fredxx

Apologies if I misunderstood.

Are you saying then that despite the general impression, the bargain-basement Poundland product is in reality not inferior to any of the branded ones?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Called into a sandwich shop today in Doncaster and everyone (staff and customers) looked at me like I had the plague because I was the only one wearing a face mask.

:-). Job sorted

Reply to
ARW

There have been a few comparisons made over the years of different makes of alkaline AA batteries including those sold in Poundland. This is one I found in a quick search:

Value for money goes to the alternative named makes one might find in Poundland.

Reply to
Fredxx