12v up to 24v inverter

I'm looking to make or buy a device which will allow me to power for a brief test run some 24v side and brake lights on a vehicle from a 12v supply. The vehicle might have LEDs, or conventional bulbs, depends on the year of manufacture etc.

Anyone have any ideas of how to test at up to 70w at 24v from a 12v supply on a van ?

Reply to
Nthkentman

This sort of thing, perhaps?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Something like this?

Toby

Will this do? A bit pricey mind...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

NET-POE-12TO24V at

will give you 3.5 amp / 84 watts.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On Saturday 28 December 2013 22:15 Nthkentman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Small 12V motorcycle battery in series?

Reply to
Tim Watts

If this is just a brief test of lamps(*) whats wrong with a couple of series connected small 12 V sealed lead acid batteries? 70 W @ 24 V is 3A, not a great current for an SLA, see what is available and at what price in the 2 to 3 AHr capacity. Wall wart mains 12 V SLA charger and charge them individually. In the past I've found that following company offers good service and prices:

No need for the technology of a fairly chunky and expensive DC-DC convertor.

(*) In or out of circuit? I'm assuming out otherwise you'd be using the trucks 24 V battery...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you considered simply testing at 12V?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Um, my linked converter is still sitting at £3.99. It is an auction admittedly but they're not that expensive. A lot cheaper and less clunky than messing about with extra batteries

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Tim Watts writes

+1. You beat me to it (although I wouldn't have mentioned 'small' or 'motorcycle').
Reply to
Ian Jackson

On Sunday 29 December 2013 08:44 Ian Jackson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

For some reason I was considering something easy to carry :)

An old 12V car battery of course would be free.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why not just get two batteries, or am I missing something here?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well it will give a very basic go/no go but not heat the filament to operating temperature and the stress things properly. Mind you 2 x 12 V batts will have a lower voltage, on load, than the truck with the engine running.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That will be the 24V SDS cordless battery.

Reply to
ARW

I was going to say a small-ish leisure battery as being a bit more tolerant of flattening.

Reply to
newshound

A chopper circuit followed by a voltage doubler

MattyF

Something like this?

OOOOH! Ta Toby,

That might well do the trick....

Reply to
Nthkentman

This sort of thing, perhaps?

That would be perfect but I suspect my MD might balk at the price... Good idea though, but perhaps insufficient amps to start some of the kit I have. As for testing rear lights on Moffets.... Overkill... But I do like the design

Reply to
Nthkentman

A capacitor switcher wastes 50% of the energy at each stage. (When charging a capacitor, half the energy consumed ends up in the capacitor, and the other half is lost in the circuit resistance.)

A more efficient version would be a Boost Switched Mode PSU

Probably around 40 years ago, Everyday Electronics did a circuit to drive a 24V 50W Weller TCP soldering iron from a car battery, which was based on this AFAICR. I've used it a few times since, although I've built many more Buck Switched Mode PSUs, to drop voltage or provide constant current for power LEDs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are loads of 12-24v convertors on Ebay - naturally from China.

A 150watt ones costs about 8 quid with free postage. Will need a box of some sort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)