Air V/S Electric ratchet tool

I am looking into buying a power ratchet since I am always working on some sort of vehicle or other mechanical thing.

I have an air compressor, but it's small and takes awhile to pump up. My neighbor told me that it's too small and I will be spend more time waiting for it to fill, than using the tool. He said he had the same problem, and he bought an electric ratchet. He let me borrow his electric one, and it seemed to work pretty well. Another guy who is a mechanic told me that the electric ones lack power, and I should buy an air tool, and larger compressor. He also told me it's cheaper on the electric bill to use air.

Well, first off, as far as the electric bill, that makes no sense to me. It costs money to pump air, and it seems to me that energy is energy, and might even cost more to convert electric to air, then convert that air to power for the tool, instead of directly powering the tool. So, on that one, I tend to disagree with the guy.

As far as the power, I am not sure who to believe. Like I said, the neighbors electric ratchet seems to have plenty of power. However, I'll never get one like his, because his is probably an antique from the 1940's or 50's. So, I am not sure if the newer ones are better due to technology, or worse because like many things, they are making them disposible these days.

I do see the electric ones are quite a bit more costly, but a new compressor would be a major expense.

Any comments ?????

Thanks

Reply to
spamfree

Look around for a large free oxygen cylinder. I have two that I use for volume when I do bead blasting. I do not do it often. I let my compressor fill everything and then rest for a while then I start. I never let the compressor run for more than 4 minutes. My compressor is oil-less so heat is a big factor on longevity. I went to a welding store and bought the fittings that I needed to make the tanks inline with the sand blaster. Works for me.

Reply to
SQLit

There are lots of reasons why probably 99+% of power ratchets use air as a source. Small size, efficiency, durability, and low cost come to mind. Your mechanic friend gave you good advice. Cost is not an issue here, it's simply what it takes to do the job. If prices are your major concern, look at the low cost tools from places like Harbor Freight. Consider looking at used air compressors if you have a company in your town that deals in them. For the price of a new unit at a box store you can often find an older much larger used one at an air compressor store. Large quality air compressors have service lives of several decades given reasonable care. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

There is no way a homeowner is going to notice the affect of an electric ratchet vs an air compressor, so the electric bill is a non issue. Unless you run the thing several hours per day, day after day, etc...

It's a non issue for the typical homeowner.

Stick with air tools. Get the correct sized compressor for the job and be done with it. Or stick to regular old hand tools.

You should be able to get a compressor that will power an air ratchet for under $400, and that would be a very nice, non-oiless, which will power a large variety of tools, and which will last for a long time. For maybe $200 you could get an oilless compressor which will do the job, be noisier, not last as long.

Reply to
DaveG

I got an electric impact wrench from

which was about $75 or so. Works nicely. Just plug in, no compressor.

Black impact socket set in blow mold case $40, and a breaker bar set for the really toughies another $15. I'm very very pleased.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon